• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

First Tux

Started by Bambi, September 28, 2011, 07:08:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bambi

Original

W.I.P.

First post for this work in progress. Let me know how it can be improved.

Bambi

Mike S.

Bambi,

Fantastic job on damage removal.  Overall looks a little yellow and the forehead and chin on the girl look a little blown out.  Maybe it's just my monitor, but I pulled it into Photoshop CS5 and that is the impression I get. 

Mike
Mike S.

Bambi

I had to laugh when I saw my own post. I used Shujen's tip about using the Brightness/Contrast layer to see the tiny spots better. It really helped, but I got so used to looking at it too bright. . . . So I agree, Mike. Skin tones and brightness need to be revisited.

Mhayes

Bambi,

Nice repair, but yes, it is too orange. The other thing is that I think the background should stay closer to the original after color correcting. That too may be a case of having it too bright.  :wow:

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Bambi

W.I.P 2

This is closer to the original brightness and the skin tones are better. How does it look to you?

Bambi

Hannie

Great job Bambi!
I think the boy's left lower trouser-leg extends behind the girl's forearm?

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Bambi

Yes. It looks better to make that leg fuller.

Mike S.

Looks good Bambi,

Great Job!

Mike
Mike S.

Mhayes

Bambi, much better! I wonder if you might consider on the girl to add more shading to her skin. I know this is a studio shot and lights were used to prevent shadows, but some light shading would give a more natural look. What I did was sample with the eye dropper the color of her skin and then pick a color just a shade darker. I added a blank layer and then painted in at 25% opacity with a soft brush. If it appeared to dark in places, I lowered the opacity. Areas that I worked on were her neck and under her chin. Her hands look good, but I started to shade in the crook of her arm and the inside of her arms closes to the dress. On her dress I darken around the waist and in some of the folds on the top. This will be very subtle, but I think you will see an improvement.

Great job on the background.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Bambi, it helps if you place the original next to your WIP and look back and forth frequently while applying shade.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Bambi

Margie, you're right. I added highlights, but didn't shade around them. Her arms and chin do look a little too flat. Hannie, that's how I did the anchor shadows (with the pictures next to each other). It's the best way to do highlights and shading.

Want you all to know that I do a much better job with your help. Hope other members will learn along with me. Thank you all.

Bambi

Bambi

Original (again)

Latest WIP

I made the skin tones more brown—less orange—and added shading and highlights on the girl. A Curves Adjustment Layer made the color shift back to orange. So I used a Soft Light Layer to burn and dodge. Also took Hannie's advice and put the original right next to the file as I did the color adjustment and burn-dodge.

On the website, the space between the two looks too white. I'll check that.

schen

Bambi, you did a great job restoring the photo.  The only thing I may want to change is her dress below the waist.  It looks a little thin and flat.  I can't see anything in the original.  Maybe there wasn't much contrast in the original.
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

Bambi

There was nothing usable in the original, but it does look more than a little flat. I added the luminosity of a little girl's chiffon dress, based on the little info I could find in all the channels. It needs a burn and dodge for shape, like I did for the skin tones. Thank you, Shujen.

Bambi

Hannie

Quote from: Bambi on October 02, 2011, 09:35:04 PM
.... A Curves Adjustment Layer made the color shift back to orange. So I used a Soft Light Layer to burn and dodge.....

Bambi if you use luminosity mode on the Curves layer the colors will stay the same.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]