• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Thought this one was going to be easy!

Started by gwilson, September 26, 2011, 09:57:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gwilson

I'm wondering why these had so little detail and were so noisy. Maybe because they are proofs. Regardless, I'm not sure what to do with them. I didn't apply much blur because the detail is so bad already. I guess the question is whether blur or noise is preferable for these images?

Thanks,
Gloria

Mhayes

Gloria, I think the quality may be a case of their being proofs. I would go with what you have which is big improvement. Also, when you submit a photo on the forum, please remove the personal information on the photo. In PhotoShop>File>File Info. Or you may make a brand new file and drop your original into it. That will not carry over the personal information. These photos do not have as much information as some because of the special situation and their being the only one for the mini copy run.

Thanks,

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

gwilson

Thank you, Margie. I will leave them as is, then. I figured I should also leave the "proof" written on the photos?
Also, I completely forgot about the file info. Should I take them down and replace?
Thanks,
Gloria

Hannie

Gloria, you did a great job bringing back the little faces from the dark. 
6 restores for the price of one, you're so lucky!  ;)

I was wondering why you wanted a blur for this restore? 

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

gwilson

Hi Hannie,

This image is really noisy as you zoom in. But there is also not much detail. The hands especially looked very blotchy, and I didn't know how to correct that. Too much blurring and they become two dimensional, but less blotchy. I guess my problem is that I don't have enough tools in my toolbox...yet!

And perhaps the biggest problem is the low resolution, not the noise as I first assumed.I would have thought these were shot in low light, and were not sharp to begin with. But maybe the studios protect themselves in this way, with their proofs.

if someone has time to take a look at the original hands in the first frame, and has some ideas on how to improve them, I'd be grateful. I ended up using the patch tool to try to smooth them out.

Thanks,
Gloria

Mike S.

Gloria,

The family should be very happy with your hard work.  Excellent.

Mike
Mike S.

gwilson

Thanks, Mike. I was just saying that about the image of the girl in red posted earlier—I'm sure the family will love all these pictures of their children growing up! I love seeing them myself!
Gloria

Hannie

Thanks Gloria.

I think the little hands in the first frame look very good as you dit them!  Wouldn't change a thing.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]