• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

background confusing, color casts

Started by debg, September 25, 2011, 05:43:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

debg

In the original photo, it's not clear to me what the fence "is doing" on the left hand side. I improvised based on my best guess.

I removed the blue patterned staining as delicately as I could. This is my second versionπ, and I hope I removed any remaining blue color casts.

Thanks for any feedback . .  .

deb

Bambi

Hi, Deb:

Much better on the skintones, but there's still a little too much blue in the damage areas. There's a color shift on her chest that I don't think is shadow. Here's a suggestion:

Open a Curves Adjustment Layer. In the RGB pulldown menu, choose Blue. Put you mouse over the blue cast area on the girl's forehead. Hold down the Command Key and click. A point will appear on the Curves line, selecting that color. Use your Down Arrow key and tap until it lightens and blends better. (As you take out the Blue, it adds Yellow.) It's a very precise way to make very fine color adjustments. This requires only a small adjustment.

It might help the boy's face a little, too. If you find it changes your background too much, select the skin tones and use Curves the same way.

Then, add little more Contrast to bring up the highlights and shadows in their faces.

There are probably as many ways to do this in Photoshop as there are people trying to do it. This is what I'd do (today!), but maybe someone else has a suggestion. The Forum isn't quite as quick on the weekends.

Bambi

debg

Thanks Bambi . . . that's actually the very technique I was using (with a mask so I could paint in the areas where needed, with different opacities). Let me repeat the procedure to see if I can nudge it further without getting too yellow. Maybe my monitor needs recalibrating . . . .

deb

debg

I've removed a tad more blue. On my monitor, this veers a little too yellow, but see how it works!

Hannie

Hi Deb,

Welcome to the forum, great job so far on a really difficult restore!

I have seen a few photos of these 2 siblings.  The girl has relatively fair skin in all of them, I think the lightest area on her arm in the original is more what her skin looks like.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

debg

Thanks Hannie . . . I've lightened her skin in this newest version.

debg

Perhaps lighter? I don't know . . .

deb

Hannie

Deb, that is such an improvement! 
To give her a little more contrast I tried this. 
(for the curves to lighten I added the boys face in the layer mask)
(the curves for Stronger contrast are in luminosity mode)
This is a very sloppy version and the screenshot also changed the colors some.

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

debg

Here's the latest Curves tweak:

Hannie

Deb, there is much better contrast now!

Somehow I felt the overall color of the photo still looked a little off, so I tried Kiska's levels in RGB and then Curves white and black dropper.
For the grey dropper I zoomed in really close and sampled the shady part of the left bar of the fence.

The result is very bright but I feel that the color haze has cleared up?
The girl now is very pale, I should have done these color corrections before I did all the rest... ::)

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Bambi

Ahhhhhhhhhhh! This is looking much better. Great advice, Hannie.

Bambi

debg

Hannie, Bambi,

Sorry, I'm a little confused now. What are "Kiska's levels in RGB"? Also, is the photo where you want it to be now? In other words, did you apply more changes yourself that brought it to where you want it? Or do you want me to perform those changes at this end and upload to PhotoShelter? I just don't know how this process works in the forum. Just let me know if there's more I can do. In any event, I see that the photo has been deleted, so I don't know what Hannie's latest changes look like.

Thanks . . .

deb

debg

While I'm at it, try this . . . it has more contrast, might be close to what you had posted . . . 

deb

Hannie

Deb, you are right, I should have posted this link when I mentioned Kiska's color correction:
http://www.operationphotorescue.org/forum/index.php/topic,3257.msg29326/topicseen.html#msg29326

The photo in in my last post has not been deleted and I can still see it, wonder why you can't?

I really like your latest version the best, great job!

:up2:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Bambi

There it is. You latest version is beautiful. Great job on a difficult restore.  :up:

Bambi