• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Bright-eyed Little Charmer

Started by Pat, September 19, 2011, 09:27:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat

Hi Everyone,

I found this little cutie in Bambi's gallery.  As always please let me know if you see anything that needs more work.

Original:

WIP:

Thanks, Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Tess (Tassie D)

Isn't he so sweet. It looks beautiful Pat.
A lot of these photos are quite noisy in some darker areas. Not sure how we deal with that.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Hi Pat, he looks beautiful and great job of getting the ink out. This is another one that looks better downloaded.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

What a gorgeous little boy and what a lovely restore!
Pat were you able to use Context aware healing brush on some of the writing or did you have to do it all "by  hand"?

Tess, when there is a lot of noise in the dark areas I sometimes use a noise reduction or median blur layer, hide all mask and then paint over the worst noise.  I adjust layer opacity so it looks natural.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Pat

Thank you, Tess, Margie, and Hannie.

Margie after Mike and I re-calibrated our monitors yesterday afternoon the discrepancy between how things look in Photoshop vs how they look on the forum while still apparent is not nearly so great as it was. 

Hannie yes I did use the content aware healing brush to remove the writing.  I was amazed at how well it worked on his shirt.  Although it was still a little tricky getting the writing off some areas of his face, particularly the mouth and eyebrow area, I found the content aware brush to be a real lifesaver on this photo.

I did a median blur layer, hide all mask etc. as you describe Hannie and the results are posted here below.  An improvement I think.

WIP2:

Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Bambi

Great job, Pat! Beautiful. Don't you just love Content Aware Fill?

Bambi

Pat

Thanks everyone for your wonderful comments.  I've sent him home.

Pat
Pat

Hannie

Pat, I think it looks better too!
That reminds me, my desktop monitor is overdue for calibration too.  I have a laptop that has a built in calibrator,  just close the lid and and a couple of minutes later it's done.  Enough to make a person very lazy.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Pat

Wow Hannie, I wish my laptop was that smart!!

Pat
Pat

Mike S.

Good day everyone,

One other note on monitor calibration -  Since we are dealing with the Internet for viewing, make sure you have your monitor set for sRGB if it allows.  Set at sRGB, once calibrated you should see very little difference between the web whether using Firefox or Internet Explorer and Photoshop.

Mike S.
Mike S.

Hannie

Pat, the monster weighs 9 lbs!  I would rather call it a folding desktop.   :)

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Mike, that is true about calibrating your monitor, but I disagree about not seeing any difference on the web whether it is Firefox or Internet Explorer if calibrated and set for sRGB. Example being Pat's little girl that was overly saturated when she posted to the gallery. When downloaded from the web to my hard drive it looked perfect and not at all like what was showing on the forum if viewed on IE.  The reason being that Internet Explorer does not read color profiles and Firefox does. So it isn't going to matter if your monitor is calibrated if IE doesn't read the color profile. I don't think this is a huge problem, but where I notice problems is in the reds.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Mike S.

Good morning Margie,

What I outlined was what worked for us, that does not mean it will work in all situations.  One other thing I did not mention is the calibration software recommended a change from 6500K to 5800K color temperature.  So some combination of all the above worked for us.  Up until I made the changes I too was getting Reds on the web.

Mike
Mike S.

Mhayes

Good morning Mike,

My monitor is also set to 6500 K and I need to do some experimenting, plus find the manual on how to program it. I have 9 options on color, but have to go to program to change the color temp. I can understand that if my monitor was leaning more to the red I would need to change the temp, but what I don't understand is why the same photo on the forum looks too red but not when downloaded? If the photo has an embedded profile shouldn't it  look pretty close both ways?

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

schen

Great job cleaning up the photo.

I usually drop a Brightness/Contrast layer on the very top.  When I work in the dark area, I turn the brightness way up and adjust the contrast so that the noise and specks are very clear.  After cleaning up, I then turn off the visibility of the Brightness/Contrast layer.

Technically, there seems no solution to the discrepancies among the interpretations of the color profile in the different applications.  My laptop color is useless.  I allows me to adjust only the brightness.  I have to connect it to a second monitor to work on photos.

Shujen
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6