• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Mom and Daughter

Started by Pat, September 15, 2011, 01:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat

Hi Eveyone,

I found this really precious little wallet sized photo in Jonas's gallery.  While it wasn't difficult it was time consuming because of all the dust and specks.  Let me know where you see more work to be done.

Original:

WIP:

Thanks,
Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

schen

Pat,

You did a great job removing all those spots from their faces.  You might want to bring back the saturation.  The color seemed a little faded in your WIP.  As for the mother's sweater (?), there seemed to have some texture that can be preserved.  I used mostly spot healing brush tool and occasionally patch tool for the worse spots.  I don't know what is the original size of the photo.  Personally, I like a little noise.  If that bothers you, you can use Gaussian blur with 0.2-0.3 radius and use mask to limit the blur only to the mother's sweater.

Shujen

Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

Pat

Thank you for the great observations Shujen.  The faces struck me also as being a little washed out when I saw them in this post.  Isn't it amazing how just viewing a photo in a different environment can make you see what you've previously overlooked?

The size of the original photo is 2.25 x 3.25.   Because of the tremendous amount of dust and debris on the sweater I found it really hard to distinguish sweater texture from the debris. I like your take on it.

Maybe Tess can come up with a neat little test for "how well can you see damage" – I think I wouldn't do so well. :D

Pat  
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Pat

I think I've followed all of Shujen's suggestions for improvement. 

I notice that my first WIP of this photo (see above) looked much more washed out here in the forum than it did in my Photoshop.  Even though I brought back the saturation a great deal in this WIP2 it still looks more washed out here in the forum post than it does in my Photoshop. ?

WIP2:

Pat

Pat

Mhayes

Pat, I think mother and daughter look great! As long as you know that your copy shows more color than what is showing on the Web; I wouldn't worry about it. Often for the Web photos will have saturation bumped up, but I wouldn't worry on this one.  :up:

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Tess (Tassie D)

Beautiful job Pat, I do love the studio portraits.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Hannie

Pat, what a great job on this lovely photo!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Pat

Thank you all for your great observations, suggestions and kind words.  I'm going to send this one home now.

Pat
Pat