• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Contest for Charity

Started by Mhayes, September 04, 2011, 12:53:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mhayes

Hi Everyone,

There is an AARP contest to write an inspiring story 250 words or less about how you serve your community. The last part I hope does not narrow it down to your immediate neighborhood only, but where you live will determine your region. You have to be 50 years or older---yes, a bummer I know---to enter the contest that ends 9/30/11.  If you are one of the seven regional finalist the charity of your choice---us, I hope--will receive $5,000 and a chance to win the grand prize of $10,000 for your charity. Here is the website: http://aarp.promo.eprize.com/createthegood/

Good Luck!

Margie

P.S. I have already entered.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Pat

What a great suggestion Margie!
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Tess (Tassie D)

They won't let me enter cause I don't live over there.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

I know Tess, that's a bummer!  :mad:  On top of that, the more I read it, sounds like you not only have to be older you have to be helping someone over 50. How about you move over here and take care of me and Holly? Except I know you would kidnap her and flee back to Australia.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Pat

You can be as young as 18 and enter:

1.   Eligibility: The Win & Do Good Contest and Sweepstakes (the "Promotion") is open only to legal residents of the fifty (50) United States (including District of Columbia), Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands who are at least eighteen (18) years old at the time of entry.

2.    How to Enter:  The Submission should be about: a) you providing service and you are fifty (50) or older, b) the group you worked with in your service activity included participants who are fifty (50)or older,

or
c) the service you did helped someone who was fifty (50) or older

Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Mhayes

Thanks Pat! Looks like one of us over 50 needs help reading the rules.  ;) Anyway, I hope more of you will enter.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Why, oh why can I not enter!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Tess (Tassie D)

Hey those rules mean we qualify in all areas. Some of the volunteers are over 50, some of the families are too.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

glennab

What a great contest.  If I can get my act together, I'll try to submit an entry before the closing date, as well.  It would be wonderful if we could win the prize for OPR.  We'd not only have the cash, but also some great exposure.

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

schen

Glenna,

Where have you been?  I am surprised that I submitted an entry before you :)

Shujen
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

Mhayes

Shujen, not only that, she hasn't  read all the new posts and specifically the one about her letterhead. Ah, the price of fame and keeping up on Facebook.  ;)

Margie

P.S. GK, I'm kidding---everytime I do, it backfires!
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

schen

Arghhhhh!  That explains it.  Our star volunteer with many words has not written up a contest for AARP.  She is still bathing in the the glory of the article in the NAPP newsletter and the accolades from the wonderful letterhead she made.
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

glennab

Margie and Shujen, you're right!  I have fan mail to deal with and interviews to give.  Soitenly!

Actually, I got too caught up in LinkedIn thinking that I'd be able to make enough contacts to figure out a way to start a restoration business to keep IM, the 4 remainders and me going financially.  Social Security isn't working.  And we agreed that I'm too much like Maxine to make a good WalMart greeter.  (Picture that!) 

LinkedIn is very interesting, but it's something I'm going to have to back off from, as it takes too much time, even though I've learned a lot and met some awesome people.  On Facebook, I try to check in every day, but mostly I post my cute animal photos and check in with my Photoshop groups.

I'm glad you all liked the letterhead.  That's basically how I got my start in graphic design, so it was a blast from the past and something I was glad I could do for OPR. I'm still not back to 100% and may never be, according to my doctor.  A case of my former job literally nearly killing me. But I still want to do as much as I can, besides restore, for my beloved OPR.

This week the 9/11 anniversary has flattened me.  I didn't realize how much it would affect me, but I've been so demoralized, especially now that there are "credible" threats to us again.  I want us to be safe and not live in fear.

Anyway, I'm going to try to get something written soon, because I want OPR to get that prize money.  If enough of us write in, that ups the odds considerably, I'd think.

Hugs!

"The Infamous" (har!) GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)