• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Ready for Review (my first restoration)

Started by srcrocke, September 03, 2011, 10:27:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

srcrocke

Thank you, Hannie. I am going to try that. If I can get yellow out of skin, that will make everything easier.

I use the selection tool, new layer and masking for almost all the reconstruction. I was a little hesitant to use it on her arm because the original photograph of her arm is not evenly blended. When the yellow is removed it is even paler compared to her forearm. Her skin is a little blotchy. Maybe I am thinking too much in trying to avoid an enhancement to the photo.

I will try again using the technique Hannie suggested to remove the yellow and then the healing brush will work much better to blend a patch from the lower arm. I do not think anything looks good without the skin texture intact.

I sure hope the next one is easier and I can become way more efficient at this. I am learning a lot.

Sandra

Bambi

I read all the threads. Always useful little gems of wisdom woven in. Great tip on skin tones, Hannie. The best thing about Schen's copy and paste tip is that it retains the skin texture. I use it often for skin and clothes.

Great restore, by the way. Not many people take on the yellow swirls for their first project. You've done an amazing job.

Bambi

srcrocke

I did her arm as suggested. I think her face needs to match her arm. Not sure how to do that unless I painted her face in a low opacity.

I think this photo is too hard for me. I am disappointed but I do not want to make a restoration look worse.  :'( I am sorry Hannie. Maybe there is an easier one I can do.

Thanks,
Sandra 

schen

Sandra,

Please stop apologizing.  You have done a fantastic job on a very difficult restoration and I am sure your skill is up to the task.  We, the picky bunch, are here trying to help you perfect the restoration with the hope that you will do the same for us.  It was not my intention to scare you.   :loveit:

Shujen
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

Pat

Sandra your latest posting of this photo is wonderful.  Don't be upset or discouraged at all.  The closer you get to perfection the more everyone picks because you've shown that with just a little nurturing you have the skill it get it there.  You made it on this one.  :up:
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Hannie

I agree wholeheartedly with Shujen and Pat.
Your have done an amazing restore and don't you forget it!   :knuppel:

I would not worry too much about arm and face matching but if you want to try and match them this is one way to do it:
Dodge the arm a little as described in this topic. (you can get a real natural result if you use Gaussian blur on that Soft mode layer once you're done dodging)
http://www.operationphotorescue.org/forum/index.php/board,27.0.html

To get the colors to match more you can sample some of her neck and paint the arm on a color layer, the same for the face: sample the arm and color her face.  Adjust opacity till you like the result. 
Don't be too careful.  :)

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

schen

Hannie, I don't know about you Dutch girls but here in America many of them like to tan their skin.  From the original, her skin tone is about the same as his.  I will tend to burn her face to match her arm.  On the other hand, I am accustomed to mismatch skin tone of face and arms.
Shujen Chen

Hannie

Shujen, my tanning days are over, I don't want to end up wrinkled like a prune!  (did I hear someone say it is too late for me already?)

The other day I restored another photo of this couple and that is why I guessed her skin is freckled but quite fair.

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

schen

Hannie, you are right.  I thought she might had a vacation at the beach of Cancun between the two pictures.  But I think she is holding the same can of diet Coke.
When I look at the original and the color looks a little over-saturated.  Also I notice that the colorful bird on his shirt was removed.

Shujen
Shujen Chen