• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

For further review

Started by smceachron, August 30, 2011, 11:08:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smceachron

I don't know why this didn't work before.  Thank you so much for your patience.

Fixed it for you Sandi.
Tess
~ Sandi :)

Mhayes

Sandi, I think you have copied the wrong link. You want the last one under your photo that starts with (IMG Code), don't choose the direct link one. Also, it looks like you are posting your photo as a Gif? It would be better to be a jpg at 72 dpi. Here is a link on the forum to some screen prints that Tess has that will show you what to do:
http://www.operationphotorescue.org/forum/index.php/topic,2002.0.html

With PhotoBucket, when you post in in your reply and save, the photo will show up and not the link. Hope that helps.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

lurch

Margie, virtually no one has a monitor that's 72 dpi any more. Much better to save jpegs for the forum at, like, 90 dpi.
<C>

Mhayes

Lurch, that is just a standard size that has been used. She could use use 96, 120, whatever. Unless the photo is tiny, it pays to reduce the size of 300 dpi for easier loading and viewing. The monitor wasn't even a factor. Plus, I couldn't figure out on her link why it was a Gif. Now I I see that if you use the pull down in PS for Save for the Web, the first choice is a gif. If would still be better as a jpg. I don't save that way, might be better, but I just change the dpi for easier loading and 72 dpi is what I use.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

smceachron

smceachron

Sorry, I can't get the photo to paste.  I modified the thread.

Tess (Tassie D)

Were these the ones you wanted pasted Sandi?

Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

smceachron

The green tint I don't really like, but the other one is done.  I found out we were experiencing problems with our ISP which was down.  Np wonder we couldn't send anything out.  Thanks, Sandi

Mhayes

Sandi, nice cleanup on the damage. It would help if you would include the original along with your WIP. I think your version is redder than the original and yes, it looks better than the green tint. You want to color correct to the original which looked like sepia with some hand painting on the lips and cheeks. The collar is the original has more detail than yours and I would bring that back. Thanks for keeping the background like the original. I have included the original as is and it will look redder than it does on the computer. A color correction will also lighten up the photo.

Hope your problems with your ISP are over.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Hi Sandi,

When I first looked at this restore I thought it would not be too hard to do...  was I wrong!
If you want to preserve the delicate painting, color/level/curves corrections are a nightmare.
On top of that the photo has really dark spots (damage) and lots of yellow/cyan blotches + the photo is very contrasty.

Perhaps an idea would to start this photo with a Channel Mixer adjustment layer and check the Monochrome box.
Now you don't need to worry about colors and can add them later.  I'd take a sample of the original sepia color for later, same can be done with red for the lips and cheeks.

This photo needs an extra levels correction on the (our) right side.  Gamma (middle) slider to the left (+/- 1,35) and then on the layer mask add a gradient mask going from right edge to (about 1/3 of the width of photo) to left.  This will get rid of some of the darkness on that side.

If you need help with any of this I will gladly explain it better!   :)

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

smceachron

Wow, I had no idea this photo would be so difficult, but challenges never stopped me before.  Thank you for the suggestions on correcting and the new web address. I'll check it again when I send it back as for web and use jpg.  Thank you so much, I feel like a beginner.  ~ Sandi :)

smceachron

Hannie, I'm having difficulty correcting just the right side and the gradient mask.  Would you help me understand this better? Thank you so much  Sandi :loveit:

ps I changed the web save from gif to jpg and I will save the photos as 72dpi. 

Hannie

Sandi, experiment with the gray middle (gamma) slider on your Levels adjustment layer for best results.
Also experiment with the distance of the gradien tool (from left to right).

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

smceachron

Tess, This looks a lot better.  Thanks for your pair of eyes on the shirt collar. Thanks for all your help.  I was spot on until the gradient.  Hugs, Sandi :hug:

Hannie

Sandi, I noticed that you deleted/moved a photo from Photobucket.  Can you fix that please?

Thanks so much!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]