• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Ready for Review

Started by Bambi, August 28, 2011, 07:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bambi

This was harder than it looked. The new tools in CS5 helped a lot, including Puppet Warp on the shirt pattern. Please let me know what still doesn't look right. Look forward to  your comments.

Bambi

schen

Great job, Bambi.   :up2:  You may want to consider reducing the color saturation of his shirt a little to match the lower part.  The contrast seemed lost some on their face and cloth.  If contrast tool does not give you what you want, you might consider using dodge and burn.
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

Bambi

That's on the list, Schen. I want to burn and dodge (on a Soft Color layer) his shirt and match the color a little better. I also want to smooth out the blotchy faces and try to find a better skintone. And her hair should be darker. Then I'll do a Curves Layer overall so it doesn't look so flat.

Bambi

schen

I can't quite place the left margin of his neck.  The part within the red circle may need some adjustments.  Boy, this is a tough one.

Shujen Chen

Bambi

Yes. That spot was completely gone. I changed that several times and still don't like it.

Mhayes

Great job on a hard one, Bambi. The other thing besides what Chin pointed out would be to have the woman's hair darker like in the original. On the original it looks to be a dark brown and there are some good sections showing.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

The blue channel has good detail on hair and neck (and everything really):

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Bambi

Hannie, you do work magic! Here's what my blue channel looks like. The muck must just magically clear itself out on the way to The Netherlands! Mine has a lot of information, but yours is clear and beautiful. Seriously, what did you do?

Bambi

schen

Bambi, there is this dirty little secrete about our distributors.  Hannie is holding the original that she posted on the forum.  But she put the images through this muck machine before posting them in the gallery so that she can keep us restorers busy.   >:D
Shujen Chen

Bambi

Schen, I'm beginning to believe it! But her version came in handy and I love the help. Does this look better?

Bambi

schen

Bambi, you are making great improvements in each step.
I took his neck in about 4 pixels and changed the shading of his chin and neck.
I still think his shirt can be desaturated more.
The color of their faces is flat.  It is the natural result of the process you took but it can be enhanced.  I desaturated her hair, eyes, and teeth.  I then darkened her hair. 

I put a little make up on her face.  The process I used involve adding a new blank layer over it; set the blending mode to color then paint your favorite color of rouge and lipstick with low opacity brush.  If you like what I did, you can apply the same to him.

Shujen Chen

Jonas.Wendorf

Also don't forget about the shirt :-).

For this I used a fathered lasso selection of the areas I found to be too blue, lowered the blue channel in curves and gave it a little more contrast.
Next I added a new layer in "Overlay" mode and painted with black over the bright area of the shirt and using some white I painted in a little contrast in the upper part.

Best regards,
Jonas

Hannie

Great topic with lots of good suggestions!

Bambi, there is an older topic about this photo somewhere on the forum and that is when I did the blue channel image.
http://www.operationphotorescue.org/forum/index.php/topic,3281.0.html

It's been a while so I don't remember the exact numbers but this is basically what I did:
- levels and curves adjustment, making it lighter than I would with an ordinary B/W photo.
- damage repair with healing/cloning etc.
- Dust & Scratches filter with radius large enough to make spots disappear and then move the threshold far enough to restore detail

The above took away some of the sharpness that is still present in your blue channel image.  I thought at the time that it was OK to sacrifice sharpness for an acceptable end result.    :)
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Hannie

Shujen is right about the shirt color.  Instead of lowering saturation you may want to try this, I used Jonas's version:

- Selective Color adj. layer, blues: black slider -52 (mask all but shirt)
                                              cyan: black slider -27 (mask all but shirt)
- Contrast adj. layer, slider all the way to 100 (mask all but shirt)

To bring back the little white stripe pattern:
- Selective Color adj. layer, whites: black slider -100 (mask all but shirt)

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Bambi

Just what the doctor ordered! Thank you, Shujen, Jonas and Hannie. All great techniques that I wouldn't have thought of—but will use from now on. I can't believe how generous you are with your vast knowledge. This is what makes it really fun.

Bambi