• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Congratulations GK

Started by Mhayes, August 24, 2011, 11:20:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mhayes

Hi Everyone,

Congratulations goes to Glenna aka GK for her recent recognition in NAPP's Photoshop User magazine. The title of the page is Notable NAPP Member, Showcasing the Accomplishments of Our Members. This was a great article telling about GK's experiences in NAPP and her volunteer work in OPR. I will let GK post the before/after restore she did for OPR. Besides a link to OPR, the article had a link to GK's Biloxi experience.

Well deserved GK!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Pat

Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Hannie

Congratulations Glenna!

That is great news Margie, we now have our very own celebrity!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mike S.

Glenna, it's dynamite.  Congratulations.
Mike S.

glennab

Thanks so much Margie.  This came out of the blue, and I was stunned at the fact that I was even on the radar at NAPP.  I expend most of my energy with OPR, although I get a lot of good information from Photoshop User, and I have contacted NAPP several times to get permission to post some of their great tutorials on the forum.

I sent several of my restorations from which to choose, and this is the one they featured:

Thanks Pat, Hannie and Mike (love the graphics!).  I was delighted to see OPR get so much press.  NAPP has been darn good to us over the years.  They're the reason I joined.   in June, 2006 their member web site published a request for people who knew how to restore photos and wanted to volunteer to contact our founder, Dave Ellis. I jumped right on it, and am so glad I did. OPR has incredibly enriched the last 5+ years of my life!

Cheers!

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Johnboy

Congratulations Glenna. Those of us who have been on the forum for a long while know that you will take a toughie and some how make it look beautiful again. Plus you have helped me and many others to get it right. It is great to hear that you get recognition for your work in other places besides the forum.    :up:

On  the weather tonight radar looked like you were getting dumped with rain from the hurricane. Hope you don't flood.

Johnboy

glennab

Thanks so much, JB. The recognition was wonderful, even though that's not why I do what I do for OPR.  I was happy that OPR was such a big part of the write-up. This is a true labor of love for me.  And I enjoy helping other volunteers because it's a great learning experience for every one of us.  You've all taught me so much over the years. And you've helped keep me sane (if I am indeed qualified to be called that) during an extremely tough year+ since I lost my job, my best friend and 7 of my precious cats.  Great therapy for PTSD!

Fortunately, we're on Florida's central west coast, so we're only going to get some extra wind and possibly some rain.  Irene does bring back memories, especially of the night my son woke me up at midnight hollering that we needed to get the sailboat secured, because a hurricane was coming in that night. I didn't watch TV or listen to the radio much, so I had no clue.  Then I found out that beloved son had been out watching the waves on the barrier islands while I was blissfully and ignorantly asleep. We were up all night tying down the boat and getting as much as we could of the plants and outdoor stuff secured. 

We've not had a direct hit in the 43 years I've lived here, but we get a lot of the backlash, I've lost two huge beautiful trees to tornadoes from the outer bands and the area gets a ton of flooding. 

I'm really concerned for people up north who aren't accustomed to dealing with hurricane preparation or the horrendous danger they represent, even if they're not a direct hit.  I hope they have the sense to get away from the coast and to evacuate if that's recommended.

Here's hoping everyone stays safe!

Bless!

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Hannie

Glenna, they picked a lovely restore to go with the article, you must feel so proud!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for all of you in Florida and along the Eastcoast that Irene will be nothing more but a small storm.

:loveit:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Pat

Amen Hannie.  We don't want to find Glenna sitting smack dab in the makings of her own copy run.

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Tori803

Great article, Glenna! Glad you didn't get the worst of the storm.

Tori
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

glennab

Hannie, Pat & Tori

Thanks for your concern about our weather.  We've had the usual summer lightning storms (really bad ones!), but Irene completely passed us by.  My heart is broken by the devastation and loss of life in our northeastern states.  How in the world will OPR be able to help recover the photos from this massive storm? It was shocking to see the flash flooding in Vermont - all the beautiful old covered bridges being washed away and the homes demolished.

We know better than to be complacent, however.  Hurricane season isn't over until November, and the prediction is for several more named storms and possibly two or three more hits.  At least we're always prepared.  We have our generator, propane stove and lantern, flash lights, batteries, first aid kit, and we know what to do for further preparation, because we've done it so many times.  People who weren't accustomed to all the evacuation trauma and denuding of stores of supplies must have had a heck of a shock.

We just found out something interesting.  We've been considering stocking up on MREs, as they last a long time and are nourishing without requiring a lot of storage space or cost. Great to have in case of a hurricane and power outages. IM just read that people who buy large amounts of MREs could end up on lists as potential terrorists - probably because of the "survivalist" mentality of some of our more radical citizens. I guess we'll find out, if black ops shows up at our door once we take delivery of our hurricane supplies.  Good grief!

Bless!

GK

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)