• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

B&W studio portrait

Started by mdorey, August 09, 2011, 11:03:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mdorey

This one has really turned out to be more difficult than I first thought it would.  I'm (slowly) chipping away at it, but does anyone have any suggestions for the right hand lower corner?
Original:

WIP:

I obviously have a lot to learn! ???

Mhayes

Hi Mdorey,

You are off to a great start! Even on a B/W the first thing you need to do is  a Levels Adjustment or a Curves Adjustment to correct the color or tone. If you go to Levels you will see where you need to bring the sliders in. Next you will want your photo to look like a B/W and not have the blue cast and the discoloration on the sleeve. You can do this and still stay in RGB mode by either going to an adjustment and changing to B/W (depends on what version of PS you have) or you can do a channel mixer and check Monchrome.

You next big headache is the guy's sleeve and the best way when you have a pattern is to borrow from the good parts on the sweater. What I do is select the lasso tool and grab a section I like and then hit "Crtl J" or "Cmd J" on a Mac. That will put your selection on a layer above. Then I hit the shortcut key "V" to move my selection into place. I will often Crtl T to do a transform which will allow you to rotate and size you selection as needed. Next I hit the Alt Key and the icon for a layer mask which will conceal your selection. Taking a soft brush with white to reveal; I paint in what I want. Sometime before I do that; I will duplicate my selection and change the mode to either "Multiply" or "Screen" and adjust my opacity to blend in. Once I like what I have done, I merge that layer down and start over with more borrowed parts. Hope this helps and isn't confusing on the method.

I probably could have done without the fold on the sleeve.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

mdorey

Thanks for the tips, Margie.  Since I'm using my home computer with GIMP2, I don't have the patch option, which was my first thought too.  I think I'll end up taking the photo with me to work to finish it off.