• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

MurdockM10 Review

Started by Rbm, August 07, 2011, 06:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rbm

Greetings,

This 5x7 image came from Hannie's gallery.

I think this image is ready for its first review.

The hat has been driving me crazy.

I know we are not supposed to replace backgrounds.  I can't really tell what the background is on this one.  I can't see enough detail to know if there is some repeating pattern there.  Some of what I'm seeing may be damage.  Does this one qualify for a replacement background?  Right now the background and bride are on separate layers.  I put the neutral gray background in just to cover up the damaged background.

Thanks,
Richard

Mhayes

Hi Richard,

Great job on the hat and dress! I think I would go darker on the background and on this one there is no way to restore it, but it does look like the background is almost black. The one area that I would work on more is her eyes. I changed to B/W to give you a better idea of how her eyes look.

You are off to a great start!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Rbm

Hey Margie,

I'll go back over the eyes using your black & white reference and I'll change the background to a very dark gray.

Thanks,
Richard

Hannie

Looking good so far Richard!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Rbm

Greetings,

Here is my latest effort.  I have replaced the background with a dark gray version and I have reworked the eyes.

Thanks,
Richard

lurch

Rbm, overall very nice. The eyes still need work. Irises are too small, and she's slightly cross-eyed. Not to worry, though. Took me a long time to get away from that deer-in-the-headlights look myself.
<C>

Rbm

Hey Lurch,

I went back and moved the left (as you view the image) iris and pupil a little to the left.  I think that corrected the cross-eyed look.  I increased the size of the iris in both eyes too.  What do you think now?

Thanks,
Richard

schen

Richard,

I took the liberty to modify her left eye.  I think the iris is much larger.  A little shading will make the eye not too flat.

The area I encircled with green line looks like her hair to me.

Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

lurch

Shujen's left eye is much closer to the mark, as far as iris size goes. Unfortunately she's still a tad cross-eyed. Eyes are really hard, and often only a one-pixel shift will make a difference. If I were doing it I would work on iris size first, then worry about eye alignment. I also agree with Shujen about the hairline.
<C>

Tess (Tassie D)

My take on the eyes from the original. Just thought I'd give it a try, was never great on eyes.
Added the hair on her right side too.

Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Great tips everyone! I think Tess has shown what the original looked like and you will notice that between shadow and eye lashes, you will not see white at the corner of her eye on your left.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

kiska

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Rbm

Greetings,

I hereby state that I will never again volunteer to work on a photo with EYES.  No wait.  Just about all the photos we work on have eyes.  Uhhh??  Nevermind!

Here is my latest effort.

I do appreciate all the helpful tips.

Thanks,
Richard