• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Saying Hello

Started by AbbyB, August 05, 2011, 06:19:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbbyB

Just taking a minute to say hello. Looks like a fair amount of hard work is done here. Im sure that there are a lot of very happy people thanks to this organization.
At this point after looking in the gallery there aren't any photos that I'm capable of restoring. They look to be impossible to restore!
Looking forward to helping out.
Abby

Johnboy

Abby,

Hello to you from southwest Ohio. Your second sentence really sums up what goes on here. I know I don't have the means to go to these places where disaster strikes to help in person, but I can sit at my computer to restore photos for these people.

There is a photo run coming later in the year to Joplin, Missouri. At times there are photos that look impossible to restore. I too pass over them but there are volunteers who will take and work on them. I am amazed myself at how well they are restored.

Once you find a photo you feel comfortable working on don't be afraid to post your progress on the forum. You will find helpful hints to tweak the photo to make it better and perhaps point out some missed damage. On some photos it is hard to tell damage from "it is actually part of the photo."

So any way feel free to join in on the posts with your suggestions or just to be part of the conversation. You will find that we all will poke some fun at each other especially the distributors.

Welcome to what we affectionately call the funny farm. You have already pointed out some of the reason for that name by finding what is left in the galleries.

Johnboy

Mhayes

Hi Abby.

Great to have you on board. Right now we are finishing up the very last photos from the Nashville run and that is why there is so little to choose from. It seems like we always end up in this situation where there is a lull between copy runs. We are hoping to get some photos in from Joplin before our run In Oct 7-8. When we do, there should be plenty of photos for a very long time. Keep checking on the forum for news and our galleries.

When we do get more photos in, you will have a greater selection that range from easy to difficult.

Thanks for joining!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Bambi

Hi, Abby! The Galleries are pretty bare right now, but don't be disheartened. We're all waiting for the pictures from Joplin. In the meantime, it might be fun to watch the OPR Tutorials and restoration tutorials elsewhere (Adobe, Photoshop User, YouTube, etc.) and look through the work that's been done in the Gallery. Welcome to the group.

Bambi

Pat

Abby welcome!  It's wonderful to have you join us.  While the galleries are rather bare right now it's a good time to go through forum posts both old and new to pick up a lot of restoration tips, tricks, and suggestions that have been offered over time.

Also a fun way to get to know a little about you fellow volunteers is to check out the "What is you hobby?" and "What was your first job? Threads in the tool bar:

http://www.operationphotorescue.org/forum/index.php/topic,3090.msg27959.html#msg27959
http://www.operationphotorescue.org/forum/index.php/topic,3099.msg28065.html#msg28065

I think you will find we are a fun group and the work is very rewarding.  We look forward to seeing more of you on the forum.

Pat

Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

glennab

:knuppel:

I want you to know that somehow Scooter just typed the above word (?) with his head against my keyboard. (Okay, now I get it, he posted a Smiley.  Just for the record: Scooter does Smileys.  I don't do Smileys (that's why I did't recognize the "verbiage." Thank you very much!)

So he's not just channeling Aaron Neville and Buff, he's now learning to type by telekinesis.  Heaven help us! I had to boot him out of the bedroom in the middle of the night last night, because he was dive-bombing me like Aaron used to do.  Scooter seldom jumped on to or off of anything until after Aaron died.  And now he's lying here looking so adorable and innocent. Stinker!

Anyway - back on track...  Hi Abby.  A warm welcome from Florida.  I just checked the galleries, and was amazed at how little is left right now.

I think Margie and Bambi have the right idea.  While things are relatively slow, this is a perfect time to wander around the forum and get acquainted with your new family.  You'll see how we interact, and get a feel for the way we help each other get through the tough restorations.  Thanks to feedback from this wonderful bunch I was able to return a completed restoration yesterday, not sure earlier on that it would be possible. The background was a total enigma.  Fresher eyes saw things that I didn't.

So don't hesitate to post if you run into a snag.  We all do, and many of us enjoy helping other volunteers.  We learn even more, and hopefully we'll help you get the job done sooner and with less aggravation.

I'm glad you've joined us!

Cheers
GK

P.S. Pat you were posting at the same time I was.  Your suggestion to check the hobbies and first job threads is a great one, and it made me realize that we haven't queried each other in a long time.  Maybe it's time to post another question.  What think?
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

PhotoBob

Welcome Abby :)  Your going to love it here. I joined about a month ago and just finished my first restore. It was a bit of a stretch for my capabilities, but the group helped me through it and I learned a few new tricks along the way   :up: See ya on the forum.

PhotoBob
PhotoBob
"Every cat should come with his own instruction manual."  -- BP Collin