• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

New Home Page

Started by Mhayes, July 31, 2011, 11:49:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mhayes

Hi Everyone,

Check out the new home page and blog about the upcoming Joplin run.

Hope all of you are staying cool!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Pat

Impressive new home page and blog Margie!   :up:

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Tori803

Great home page, Margie!

Tori
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

kiska

Lookin' good, Margie!  :up:
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Mhayes

Thanks Everyone! I hope to keep you all posted of the developments in Joplin. Keep your fingers crossed we can get some photos from there soon to put in our galleries.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

glennab

Sheesh, Margie, I got so excited about all the news and great stuff on the home page that I shared it all on Facebook and neglected to comment to you on how wonderful it is.  I have a feeling that the Joplin run is going to be huge and that we'll be busy for quite a while. I noted that the group that's working with OPR is about to do another "walkabout" to hunt for more photos in the debris.  I suspect that's comparable in a way to our copy runs.  Hard work, saddening in ways, but rewarding beyond description.  Bless them for all the work they're doing to keep the loss to a minimum.  It's heartening to know that there are still so many good people in the world.  Especially when we have to watch our government act like spoiled brats every day.  Arghhhh!

Hugs

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Mhayes

Thanks GK. The numbers of photos found is really impressive, but the number of people being reunited is not so good. I'm glad that we postponed our run until October so that more people will have a chance to view the photos brought in. The word is getting out people who have damaged photos and we hope to have some of those avaiable before the run. Right now we are trying to see how to make this happen.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

glennab

Margie, do you think the photos will be more likely to be reunited with their owners as time goes by and word spreads that they are being collected - as well as the locations of the collection points? Perhaps many of the residents haven't been back home yet and don't realize the photos are being gathered.  Here's hoping that they get back to those to whom they belong!

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Mhayes

GK, yes with time I think more photos will be reunited with owners, but right now only a very small percentage have been scanned and put out on FB. There is no way FB can handle all of this, so what they are hoping is to have public viewing days, but they are working on cleaning and referecing them as they come in. Right now the count has gone from 16,000 photos to 20,000 and about 1,000 photos a day coming in from the drop off locations.

We are trying to get in touch with families that have their photos returned that OPR could start restoring some of them. What is helping is for people that recognize some of the photos go and contact the owners.

The numbers look impressive with the photos, but my guess is the vast majority will never find their way to the owners. However, any that do, make this all worthwhile. One person I talked to that has since relocated to Branson from Joplin has a photo of her brother and it is the only one she recovered. Her mom was going to toss it and she insisted on keeping it and heard about us from Lost Photos of Joplin. We are going to get that photo and restore it.

Margie

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Margery44

Margie - The new home page looks good. I read through the Joplin blog. I will continue to pray for the people in Joplin. Thanks for the updates.

Johnboy

Margie,

The new home page looks great. One thing I noticed that the date at the top appears to be on the next day. It is about 10:42 PM here and the date is already showing for Friday. Note sure when it rolls over because I have looked at the page late in the day.

Johnboy

Mhayes

Johnboy,

I am totally confused about what you are seeing? I'm not showing a time stamp on this---maybe I'm not looking at the right place?

Thanks,

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Tess (Tassie D)

Margie the date is right up the top left. I checked and it is set on UTC-8. http://www.timegenie.com/utc.time/UTC-8

I can always change it to another area more central?
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Tess and Johnboy, all this time I never noticed that. Looks good to me now. If we were on Aussie time, the majority of us would think we lost a day.  ;)

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Johnboy

Margie and Tess,

I probably would have over looked it to but just happen to notice it the first time I checked out the new home page. I guess it is all those years of working with faculty and staff who would come in to proof something before printing it and say it looked great. Then I would point out a misspelled word or some other glitch. May be it needs to be set to the UTC at the Prime Meridian. That way all our volunteers world wide would be on the right day no matter where they live. I was just looking at the U. S. Naval Observatory web site and while there the UTC clock flipped over to Saturday. So Saturday is on its way.

Johnboy