• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Additional information on the Clone Source Panel

Started by glennab, September 09, 2011, 03:13:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glennab

Hi all

I posted an inquiry on one of my Facebook groups about using the Clone Source Panel, as I find it totally cumbersom and not at all intuitive.  I've still used it, but it takes forever for my purposes.  I got several replies, one from Lesa Snider, who said she covers it in her book "Photoshop CS5: The Missing Manual."  I've heard great things about her books, but I'm on a tight budget, so another reference book is out of the question.  However, the wonderful A.J. Wood posted a link to his YouTube video on the subject, and it cleared up a lot of confusion for me.  I wanted to share it with you.  I hope you won't have to use it often - I just happen to have a bear that requires its functions - as I still think it's wieldy, but at least this is a good start.  There are several other discussions of the Panel on YouTube, but A.J.'s is by far the most comprehensive. (And the title of his tutorial, "The Clone Stamp Doesn't Suck," is classic.)

Here's the link:

http://youtu.be/fc8XJR8vWmc

Good luck!

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

schen

I only have CS5 for two weeks and used it a couple times but I found the ghost image following the clone brush a very useful enhancement.  I did not know about the clone source panel until I watched this video.  Thank you for the link, Glenna.
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

glennab

Shujen, there are so many little hidden or little-known functions in Photoshop that we could use, if we just knew about them.  I didn't know about the Clone Source Panel until I was watching something else on YouTube and a tutorial caught my eye.  It was very superficial, but I've been sending out inquiries about it and have learned more.  

I had a little time left on my lynda.com subscription, so I checked out Deke McClelland's chapter on healing and cloning last night, and that gave a little more information, but still not as much on the Clone Source as A.J.  One thing that struck me about A.J.'s tutorial was changing the shape of the brush to clone more efficiently.  I never thought of that, and it's something I can use in my current restoration.  

There's so much information out there, and I'm finding that the several Photoshop groups to which I was invited on Facebook have gotten me the most useful information.  I have been given great references to tutorials and tutorial web sites on LinkedIn, as well.  I try to share anything I think will be useful for our volunteers.  Most of the people I've contacted on LinkedIn are retouchers, rather than restorers, and that's a completely different type of pixel pushing, even though some of their techniques are helpful.

At any rate, you're so welcome for the info, and I'll keep looking for more.  Bless!  GK

BTW, I'm not sure how far back the Clone Source Panel goes, because I upgraded from CS2 to CS5, but I got the impression that it was also available in at least CS4, and possibly CS3.
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Bambi

Thanks, Glenna. Learned a lot from the Clone Source tutorial. Didn't use the clone stamp much in retouching, but I find it endlessly useful in restoration. Now I can use it much more effectively. Love to discover new things in Photoshop. Thanks for sharing.

Bambi