• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Blue channel

Started by G3User, July 22, 2011, 12:35:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

G3User

Last thing to restore is the woman's face so I did the usual and superimposed a copy of the blue channel on a layer and started the repair using it as a guide.

When I started checking by turning the blue layer on and off I could see a significant difference in the position of parts of her face. I have attached the original, could someone else please try and let me know if you see the same thing.

Her mouth, nostril, the point where her dress meets her neck on her rh shoulder are all in very different positions. Other items like the yellow stains do not move.

I have an idea why this is happening but have not seen this before. However if I do the repair relying the blue channel it looks like I will be substantially changing her face.

My only thought is to shift the position of the blue channel for her face to match the features I can see in the original and go from there

Any suggestions or advice appreciated

Athol ???

Mhayes

Athol,

It would appear that your distributor is getting even with you for all those times you threaten us with knitting needles to inflicted pain.  :cool:

I see what you mean and it is weird, because in the green channel her lips looks different than in the blue channel. In the blue channel her nose looks broader. I would think that the blue channel has to be correct, but I have no idea why the difference.

Worse case scenario is to show the blue channel along side this one and ask the owner which face she prefers---will word it a little different.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Oldfaded

Does this help any?
---

--
KATE
Old Faded Memories
-------------
Adobe CS5
Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2

G3User

Thanks very much Margie. Jonas isn't like that, I trust him completely ::)

I will probably do two versions as you suggest, one using the blue channel position and the second with the features moved to be more in line with the original RGB image.

Kate, your suggestion is a better looking starting point that I had created so I will go back and see if I can get something like that. Thanks

Athol

Hannie

Athol, it is a mystery to me why her eyes are almost an inch lower in the blue channel...  :huh:
I think Jonas found a new secret weapon.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Jonas.Wendorf

I can't believe you blew my cover >:D!

That's really weird! I could imagine, that the nose is lower in the blue channel because of the extreme amount of yellow underneath it. Since yellow is the opposite color to blue, this area is therefore darker and seems lower.
The lips on the other hand seem to have only one spot with their original color, the other areas are covered with yellow.
Therefore they seem to be lower (since they are again darker) in the blue channel.

Concluding I'd say that the nose and lips of the green channel look more likely to me, but of course I'm not sure about that either!
Best regards,
Jonas

Oldfaded

Athol I saved the file if you want to look at the settings PM me...
KATE
Old Faded Memories
-------------
Adobe CS5
Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2

glennab

Kate: have you tried calculations with the blue and green channels mixed?  You could do that and then try the different blending modes.  It might even out some of the differences.

GK

Does anyone use channel mixer to substitute for this process?  I haven't tried it, because calculations has always worked for me.  But channel mixer has more controls.  Just curious.  I may have to experiment.
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

G3User

And I trusted you Jonas. Sigh

Would you PLEASE not pass the secret on to Hannie, she causes enough strife as is :(

I had come to the same conclusion about why the blue channel appears to be displaced and that is why I am inclined to trust the RGB, R or G channels for the repair. The side lighting with what looks like late afternoon sun is the probable cause.

Another difference is that her face appears to be much less full in them compared to the blue so looks like a couple of versions and perhaps Margie can get some feedback from the owner

Thanks Kate , have dropped you a note

Glenna, I have tried calculations and the best I can get is blue inverted with green in overlay mode. I will use that for the "thinner face" and something like Kate has produced for the more "full face"

Thanks for the input, will post the results when I get there

Athol

Mhayes

Hi Athol, you are so abused!  :funny:

I will contact the owner, but when I looked to see if there was any other photos of her; I noticed this one and it makes me think the blue channel is correct with perhaps her lips thinner. She could be older and the face thinner, but her eyes look very much the same in the blue channel as they do in the other photos.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Judy

The nose seems much more attractive in the one you found (and the all color one of the one in question) than the blue channel -- as does the mouth.  Just my opinion.

Judy

G3User

Excellent Margie, thanks. It confirms that her eyes are rather deep set with rounded cheeks and noticeable creases. Is the image you sent a 100% crop?

I think I will go with the blue channel for her eyes and nose and face shape and try positioning it to match the RGB position of her mouth.

Kate, received the file thanks. You should have a couple of e-mails from me.

Thanks for the thoughts Judy, wish me luck

Athol

Mhayes

Hi Athol, no it is not a 100% crop, but rather a screen print of the two side by side. I will download that photo to you.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]