• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Not sure if this hit the spot!

Started by GP, September 24, 2006, 05:29:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GP

This is my 4.picture and I am not quite sure, if it is all it could be. Please have a look and give me some feedback.

[319][/480]

[319][/480]

Now Ineed only to know how to insert the pictures???? :(
PS CS5, PSE9, XP, Windows 7 -64bit

cmpentecost

GP,

Your picture did not come through.

christine

glennab

Hi GP

You might want to set up an account with Photobucket.com under the auspices of OPR.  If I remember correctly, the site pretty much walks you through the signing up process.  You just need to establish a user name, password and be registered as an OPR volunteer.

It's free, and you can download your images into an album, post a link, (under each image there are 3 links.  Use the third one -- just copy and paste it into your post and the photo will show up without taking up OPR web space.)  I've had no problems posting images, and I'm not particularly web savvy.  Check it out.

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Kenny

Hey GP.

First, host your image on your favorite image hosting site (Photobucket, imageshack.us,etc...). Highlight and copy the code for FORUMS.Then, when you are posting look right above the smilies toward the left and you will see an icon that looks like a little picture, click that and paste the code. You can always go back and modify and edit your own post if you need to.

Kenny

*Edit Glennab beat me to it by a minute :P

But why is the rum gone?

GP

Sorry about that, I hope it works this time:

cmpentecost

Very nice.  It's hard to see her restored face close up.  It looks a little blurry around her eyes, but that may just be "my eyes"!  The other thing is her skirt.  The original seems to have more detailed ruffles.  However, I think it is minimal.  Overall, you have done a very nice job.

Christine

GP

Thank you for your comment, Christine. This is exactly the problem I have with this picture. The original does not have a lot of detail in the faces and the damage is quite extensive.For the detail in her skirt I am not sure if it is damage or a pattern. She seems to be a nurse ( I restored a 2.picture of this couple), but you might be right.
Do you think it looks to much like a painting now?

Gerlinde

glennab

Hi again GP

Glad you were able to post your image.  I can't see a lot of the detail in the people (old eyes!), so I really can't comment on that.  I can tell you that I don't think it looks like a painting.

I have two issues:  Do you think the dark area at the upper left is the shadow of a tree?  I see what look like leaf shapes in some of that darkness.  If it is a tree shadow, I'd try to pull out more of the leaf shapes from the original.

Also it appears that there's faint writing on the image.  Admin has mentioned that if there is any writing, even if it isn't complete we should try to capture it, as it is likely to be significant to the owner.  Try duplicating the original image on a new layer, set the layer effects to multiply and see if you can pull out more detail in the writing.  Sometimes that will give you much more to work with.

This is a tough one!  Kudos for tackling it!

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

cmpentecost

My guess is that the writing was on the back of the photo, and it bled through.  I know we want to keep the pictures as close to the actual as possible, but not sure if this is something that should be included.  Then again, if it was written on the back, the lettering would be backwards on the front.  I guess the OPR gurus would have to answer that one.

Christine

glennab

I hadn't thought about bleed-through.  That would definitely be an Admin call.  Good catch, as usual, Christine!

GG

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

GP

Thanks again for your suggestions and comments!
For the writing:it could be that there was something stuck on the picture, like a note or letter and the writing could come from that.
The leafs are only shadows, but I go over it again and see if I can get it somewhat better.

GP

Kenny

Quote from: cmpentecost on September 24, 2006, 07:02:20 PM
... I guess the OPR gurus would have to answer that one.

Christine

That would be you, Christine  :funny:

I consider you a guru, so wear the title proudly!

It looks like bleedthrough to me, too. I'd remove it.

Kenny :)

But why is the rum gone?

Dave

If the writing was important, there would have been instructions to preserve it. Good job on the restore.

Dave
Dave Ellis
OPR Founder
[email protected]

GP

Thanks all for your help! This will be my final version:

Gerlinde

cmpentecost

Perfect.  I wouldn't change a thing.   :up:

Christine