• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

little girl

Started by Judy, July 04, 2011, 08:04:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy

When I went to pick up Chris Craft I saw that I had the little girl sitting there that I had asked for earlier.  Oops! never got the email, and didn't know to check.  I just couldn't pass her up so I got cracking on her yesterday.  Actually it was sort of nice to go back and forth when I got frustrated with one photo and work on the other, as they are so different to stare at.

I am a little baffled by the red on the blouse sleeve on the right hand side.  If you notice the photo had red bleeding all around the edges anyhow, but this definitely seems excessive.  It doesn't look like damage to me, though.  Would you try to take it out or not?

Every time I look I find more yellow dots, I am going to have to get a better scrolling technique!

Original

Restored

Judy

kiska

Hey Judy. These color shifts are a pain. I did the basic levels then curves adjustment layers. Then another curves for med gray....just experimented around the pic till I found a good spot.

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Judy

I like the color of your hair better, though am not fond of all the blue in the rest of it.

What did you think was wrong with mine?  I did use curves and was going by Eisman's "go with the numbers" technique.  You got more tonal contrast -- is that what you were going for?

When I did curves, I didn't see a thing in the picture that was gray, or should be gray, so left out that adjustment.  Maybe I should try to work it in.  Ah, I see where you got gray, good spot for it.

Judy

kiska

I was doing the basic "first" adjustments. In damage like this, with different color shifts, you need to do one area at a time. For the white, one way is create a new layer, set to color, and with a medium opacity brush build up the good color.

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Judy

Thanks, while you were doing that, I had decided perhaps the way to go was to do color curves and use them on where I liked them.  So, I did different ones for the skin and the hair -- same idea as what you were doing I think.

I "think" I like it better -- what do you think?

Judy

Hannie

Beautiful repairs Judy! 
Do you think that the background could have been darker like in Kiska's version?  I also like the skintone and haircolor.

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Judy

Yes, Hannie, things were getting a bit washed out weren't they?  How did you get it so nice so easily.  I have been struggling, and I really have trouble with the skin tone on all these versions which seems green in places.  Actually if you add the adjustment layers together you can see there is a huge amount of green in certain areas. 

Anyhow, here she is again, with the green that is bugging me still there, but maybe a bit better.  And, I still don't know about that red on the sleeve of her blouse.  Was that some weird reflection or what?

Time for dinner I think, today was supposed to be chore day!

Judy

kiska

The red of the jumper has bled onto the blouse.
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Ausimax

Judy, try this, I adjusted the individual channels in levels and then used a curves adjustment layer, as per photo. Seems to get the skin tone fairly good.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

Hannie

What I really like about Max's curves is that the little girl's eyes now have the right color, brown, not black!

Judy, after I used Kiska's tips I added a color layer to get the stains out of the blouse + an ever so slight blush on her cheeks to counteract the green some.
A Selective Color Adjustment layer I used to brighten up the red pinafore dress.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Judy

Mine didn't work out too well with Max's curves because I had already fooled around so much with repairs, etc. probably. 

Anyhow, this is what I have come up with today, it's possible the eyes could be made lighter I guess. 

Judy

Judy

Jumper looks more like a little girl's red I think.  It got dark when the background was darkened.

Couldn't do much with the eyes, what I tried made her look like she had doggie cataracts!

Judy

Judy

Okay, for Hannie I did one with brown eyes, they are not perfect, but I can't see the imperfections at a reasonable size myself.

And, this is the one where it just looks like all pupils --

I think I do like the brown eyes better.  That is sure an iffy process for me.  I went to do them a second time and couldn't get brown at all! 

I think I have gone about as far as I can --

Judy