• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

chris craft

Started by Judy, July 03, 2011, 10:54:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy

Hi folks,

This turned out harder than I thought it would be so am uploading where I am to give my brain a break and get some feedback.  I have had lots of trouble with his right hand which was badly damaged, and his left foot wasn't there.  Foot looks a bit skinny, and he looks a little like he is floating.  The hand, well it looks awkward but maybe he was holding it in an awkward position though it is a relaxed position to have the fingers curled (his were a little fisted).  I also stopped on the boat a bit.  I believe that line up the stern of it is some sort of a built in ridge but can't find any pictures of Chris Craft to confirm this.  If it is fiberglass it would be possible, not so with wood.  Or, it could be a shadow.  I don't know what it is, frankly and have to look further.  I also get the feeling the guy is floating rather than standing but I just did something that helped that illusion a tad.  Tell me what you think.

Original

Retouched

Thanks!

Judy

Hannie

You sure picked a doozy Judy!

I don't know anything about boats but it looks like that line is a part of the boat like you suggested.

When you fixed the jacket it got a little longer, that is OK but his hand on our left also stretched out some.

As for the floaty look, perhaps you can turn the shoe towards the camera some, you will probably have to shorten the shoe a little?
(I tried that on your restore, not very well tough!)

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

lurch

To counteract the appearance of the man floating, add a grounding (contact) shadow just under his feet. Reference Eisman, "Photoshop Masking and Compositing", 2005, Peachpit Press, pp. 117-119.
<C>

Judy

Thanks Hannie and Lurch.

Not sure how the jacket grew, though it was probably way back when, when I first decided I had to go back to the beginning on it.  I will learn to do the hardest last I think!

I do like the foot pointing outward as it appears from the right foot he is somewhat slue footed so that would be a more natural position.  I am not sure how good I will be at doing that, though.  I will give it a go.  When I first did it I flipped the shoe thinking I would get a shoe pointing out, that didn't work.

Lurch, I remember Eisman's thing on the shadow to ground and thought of it (briefly, I don't think I was great at it).  It was on the wedding gown picture that she switched.  When I attack the foot maybe I will try that. 

I at first didn't have the second tire or whatever that debris is in the picture under the boat, and it left that swoop of nothing going back.  It grounded it somewhat to make that not even.  That is what I saw and did right before uploading.

Judy

Judy

I worked on both the hand and the feet some more.  I can tell if I keep getting things like this I will have to take a drawing class!  I try to find pictures that will work, but generally they do not. The right shoe is now all my own.  He doesn't look like he is ballet dancing, which is good, the position of the foot is better I think, though the shoe probably needs work so it doesn't look so much like a hush puppy.  Didn't get into shadows, as the shoe still seems odd, though I think better.  I seriously considered adding a bush yesterday at one point!

Judy

Judy

I found a Bjorn shoe for my guy, and after some alteration like it better than my drawing.  I think I might have done as good as I can on this one.

Judy