• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Let me know or just look -

Started by Oldfaded, June 25, 2011, 11:18:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldfaded

Let me know of you see something wrong. much appreciated.
otherwise let me know to upload.

Original
---

----
Restored
---

---
KATE
Old Faded Memories
-------------
Adobe CS5
Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2

Judy

I tried it with a very light sepia and it was so pretty.  Guess that is forbidden, but it is what I would want if I were him.

I also toned down that white on the hair on the right hand side at the top.  I see it is there on the original but it sure looks like he is wearing a toupee or something after you sharpen it up and bring out the detail.  Close up it looks like he has a feather there.  Very peculiar.  I just did a 20% opacity soft brush -- it is still lighter but doesn't look like he has a feather.

I don't see anything you missed -- I like it, it is an interesting pix with that burlap in back of him.

Judy

Oldfaded

I know right?! His hair looks very odd to me.
I agree with you, due to the time of the photo, sepia is what I would feel more realistic to see, but I guess most want the BNW.
I did one for a customer and he wanted both. guess he couldn't decide..hahaha
post the pic so I can see it!
KATE
Old Faded Memories
-------------
Adobe CS5

Mhayes

Anytime you think the photo could have been sepia, feel free to submit both ways.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

But please, no sharpening!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Judy

Kate,

This is what I did, it is a very light sepia but I think softens it some and looks more period  -- we'll see whether we can even tell the difference!

Hannie -- when one does curves, levels, etc. it brings out detail I think even though you don't use a sharpen filter.  So, his peculiar hair seemed to worsen to me, not that it was sharpened per se.  Looking at it, a 10% opacity or even a color layer might have done better for the feather/hair

Judy

Oldfaded

Yes I like I Judy, it gives it much more depth and realism.
good job. I like that. Im glad you brought that up as it started the conversation of at least asking if a sepia would be acceptable. In this case I feel that is much better than just black and white..
KATE
Old Faded Memories
-------------
Adobe CS5

Tori803

Of course, if there are more than one photo for a family that will need a sepia tint, those tints won't match unless they are done together. It might be better to wait for Quality Control to decide on the sepia tint, or at least to upload 2 version (b&w, sepia).

Tori
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

Johnboy

Kate,

To me the highlights on his shirt seem to be blown out or over powering. It looks a little that way on the original too so there may not be a whole lot you can do. You might try painting in 10% black on a separate layer to see if you can knock done the highlights in the shirt some. The shoulder and the sleeve seem to me to be the most affected.

Another way would be to make a selection of the shirt area and try a Hue and Saturation adjustment layer.

Johnboy

Hannie

The highlights on the shirt don't seem to blown out in the original. 
Here is a version with levels adjustment, lower contrast and brightness, there still is detail visible in the sleeve.

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]