• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Flooding where I live

Started by MB, June 20, 2011, 11:05:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MB

The city of Minot, North Dakota will lose the battle against the flood.  Minot has been fighting the high water levels since the end of February.  Today they announce a mandatory evacuation in Minot.  The dam has to release water at 15,000 cfs & the levees of minot can only hold 11,000 cfs.  We are ok since i live far from Minot. 
MB

Mhayes

MB,

I am so sorry to hear what is happening there and happy you are safe. It is so hard to watch and know what it is doing to people's lives.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

MB

The record was held in 1969 & this time is expected to be at least 7ft higher than 69.
MB

Tess (Tassie D)

So sorry to hear that MB. Hopefully everyone will be safe and their photos with them.

News article here http://www.wday.com/event/article/id/48142/group/homepage/
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Hannie

What a heartbreaking report, can't imagine what it would be like for all those people having to be evacuated...

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

MB

They are evacuating for the second time.  They moved their belongings out about 3 weeks ago since they were expected to flood.  The city built temp levee & the flood was stop.  Most people move back into their homes & now they have to do it all over again.  This time the flood is certain to happen.  The worse is that my husband has the jurisdiction of the dam that will flood minot.....so the stress level is very high in our home.  
MB

PatW

I'm so sorry, MB.  I've been so focused on the Missouri flooding that I didn't realize how bad things were on the Souris.   I can't imagine the stress your husband must be under. 

I'm glad you're not physically in danger, but I know what an emotional toll something like this can take.

Pat

Give your hubby an extra hug from all of us here at OPR MB.
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

MB

They are about to sound the sirens in minot.  People has till 6pm Thursday to move out, but an expected amount of water was just released from a dam north of Minot.  There is still a lot of people there & they are expecting flash floods.  The water is almost up the temp levees.  It is really bad.
MB

Hannie

I am so sorry for the people of Minot, this must be a nightmare....
Very best wishes and strength to you and your hubby.

:hug:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

MB, how heartbreaking this is happening. Stay safe and hope that everyone there can escape without harm.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

MB

People were able to evacuate safely out of Minot.  The crest of the river is expected to happen on saturday.  Some of the temp levees have started to crumble.  Thursday the dam will increase water release to 18,000 cfs & saturday to 22,000 cfs.   The levees can only take 11,000 cfs. The town is in good spirits so far.  Thanks for all your comments & i will keep posting updates.
MB

david_gr

Good bless you all.  I thought we had it bad in Georgia.  The anticipation must be rough.  My thoughts and prayers are with you all in North Dakota.  :'(

Tess (Tassie D)

Just saw an update for Minot on the news. The water has breached the levee there and they are concerned about the nuclear power plants in Nebraska? :-(
http://abcnews.go.com/US/minot-north-dakota-residents-flee-nuclear-silos-protected/story?id=13913535
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

MB

The water flow from Lake Darling dam is at 26,000 cfs as of an hour ago.  We hope this is the last time they have to raise the gates.  I was at the dam today as they were opening the gates & got some pics & videos.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=166545863411655&set=o.113338562042681&type=1&theater
MB