• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Spalding County Copy Run

Started by david_gr, June 15, 2011, 03:59:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tess (Tassie D)

Hope everything goes well and you get a great turnout.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Pat

Best wishes David!  I'm going to be sitting here glued to the forum waiting for your first reports. Get us some easy ones.

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

david_gr

Well folks, the copy run did not go well.  We had one lady, Mrs Askew who brought in 3 pictures.  I don't know what I could have done differently except maybe hold the copy run in a different more central location.  It was held at a fire station in a rural part of the county near where much of the tornado damage was done.  Looking back, I should have tried for the local library or the VFW in Griffin, GA.  I had two television interviews, one on the local CBS affiliate and one with the local NBC affiliate this past Friday.

http://www.11alive.com/news/article/197820/40/Free-help-to-save-storm-victims-precious-memories

I had articles in the local newspaper both a month before and this past week.  The Mrs Askew came as a result of a newspaper article.  I also had ads running on the local radio. I distributed about 15 flyers to local stores and churches.  I don't know what else I could have done?  :-[

I want to thank Spalding County particularly CPT Glenn Polk, for their support with the newspaper and radio press releases and the use of the fire station.

The good news is that we get to help the Mrs Askew who had pictures of her mother and grandmother that were about 30 years old.  That to me makes it worthwhile since Mrs Askew will get some precious photos restored.   We also got some good media exposure for OPR and Margie tells me that we have a new member as a result of that media coverage. My wife, Marge and I made some very good friends with Tammy Wilson and Brenda Fayard.  I want to say thank you for all your support particularly Margie Hayes who held my hand throughout this experience.

So I while I wish that I had better results, I am glad that I tried.  :)

Mhayes

David, a big thank you to you and your group. I think the location might have played a part, but also it may have been too soon for a copy run. The biggest problem after a disaster is getting the word out to people. You covered all the bases with press releases, but some families may be out of touch and even from the area.

You and your group deserve a round of thanks and a pat on the back. You took the time and effort to help and that is very much appreciated! You also got the word out about OPR and you may still get some request later for help.

:hug:

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Thanks to you David and your crew for caring and giving it your best!   :wnw:

I think both you and Margie are right about the possible reasons for the low show.
Perhaps a repeat at a later time and a different location...

:loveit:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Tori803

Thank you David (and crew)! It was a great effort and we appreciate your hard work. As Margie and Hannie point out, maybe we can figure out the differences between this run and previous runs and keep them in mind for another copy run later on.

Tori
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

glennab

David, wonderful job - turnout notwithstanding. And Neko is gorgeous. I can't imagine someone throwing him away.  But then, what a gift for you and Margie. He certainly earned a t-shirt, given his attention to detail in inspecting the box.

I'm so sorry that we had to be no-shows.  As it turns out, not only did I get sick, but our car got damaged, and we wouldn't have been able to drive up anyway.  Bummer all the way around.  And I'm so sorry I didn't get to write a "Boffo" (Pat that is such a wonderful word!) journal. My inner compulsive writer was looking forward to that, as well as all the other rewards of being on a copy run.

If you think another run at a future time would be viable, we're up for trying it again. I can't imagine that you could have done any more in the way of getting word out, but it's possible that the remote location was an issue for some folks. And I wonder if many people are still out of touch because of the damage. You, however, deserve our gratitude for taking on the leadership of the operation.

Bless you for taking charge of the run, and I'm hoping that we get to meet on another one. Please let me know if you decided to try again at a later date.

Hugs!

GK

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

david_gr

Thank you all for the kind words.  :)