• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Spalding County Copy Run

Started by david_gr, June 15, 2011, 03:59:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david_gr

We are having a copy run in Spalding County, Georgia on July 15 & 16.  I have Laura & Greg Nalesik from Atlanta, GA coming.  Greg will be helping with photography chores.  Glenna and her husband will also be coming.  I look forward to having Glenna's experience with us.  Our other photographer will be Tammy Wilson who heard about us though Clayton State.  And my Wife, Marge will be coming to keep me straight.   

CBS Atlanta ran a story on the copy run.

http://www.cbsatlanta.com/story/14905293/volunteers-help-restore-storm-victims-personal-items

Since this has been shown throughout the Atlanta metropolitan area I don't know how many people will be coming.  Also this will probably be the only copy run in the Southeast, so I want to be prepared for a large turn out just in case. So We are looking for more help locally, particularly photographers.  So if you want to come, we should could use you.  Send me a message though OPR if you are interested.  This will be a great opportunity to help some people bring back some memories.

David Gr

Pat

Nice television spot David!  Word about OPR is really getting out there on a lot of fronts lately.  All the best with your copy run.
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Mhayes

Great job, David! I think this will help and we have new volunteers signing up that saw you TV interview.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Great interview David!
Wish I could be there to help out in July, sounds like a lot of fun.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

philbach

Way to go David, to get the word out to the community.  A very nice interview. 
phil

david_gr

Thank you all for the kind words and support.  We all do what we can within our limited capabilities.  We are a team who rely on and support one another to get some memories back to people who have had irreplaceable photos violently taken from them.  That to me is a good reason to get up in the morning.

David Gr  :up:

david_gr

Well today, I bit the bullet and handed out flyers for the Spalding County, GA copy run.  I handed out 18 flyers to:

Churches
Gas stations/convenience stores
Post office
Fire department
Barber shop
Grocery store

The responses ranged from thankful and enthusiastic to much less.  I am going to mail some flyers out to some churches that weren't open.

Here is a list of the supplies I have purchased so far.

Paper towels   
Black foam board 20 x 30"    3 each
Glass cleaner   1 btl
Sticky notes  1 7/8" x 1 7/8"   2 blocks
Sticky notes  2 3/4" x 2 3/4"   big block 2.5" deep
Batteries rechargeable AA   12 each
Portable hard drive 320 GB   1 each - on sale at Walmart
Stick pens   10 each
Permission forms   125 each
Hand sanitizer   3 bottles
Glass panes - non or low reflective   to be purchased-photo frame place?
Scotch tape    1 dispenser
Screwdriver & pliers   
Duct tape   for lights
Folders letter size  24 each

Have I missed anything?  :-\

Our preparations are going well.  It won't be long now before July 15 & 16.

It's not too late for anybody in the Atlanta area to join in.  :)

Mhayes

David,

I wish you would have told me what you were buying as I always send supplies such as what you have purchased below. When you were on the Austell run, did you not remember the boxes that were shipped with all the supplies. The one exception would be the glass and the need to purchase a couple of black poster boards.

I will be mailing your supplies with lights and t-shirts soon, but now I wonder if I should pull all of the supplies you have already purchased?

Happy to hear you are getting good responses. I would make a point to get in contact with the Salvation Army and test the waters with the Red Cross. Also, any FEMA offices are going to be a good place to get the word out.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

david_gr

Margie,

No problem with the supplies.  Just send the ones I don't have listed.

Since I don't have travel expenses, I can afford the supplies.  Oh yea, I added cloth measuring tapes to the supply list at Glenna's suggestion. Can you think of anything I am missing?

That's about it for now.  Let me know what you think of the idea I sent you by separate message.

Thanks.

David  :)

Mhayes

David,

Thanks I appreciate it and that will save weight on shipping, but I didn't mean for you to pay for it out of pocket. OPR will reimburse you and also help pay for lunches for all the volunteers during the two days.

I will also send the cloth dressmaker tape. in the box I am shipping will be 5 templates (on stiff card stock) that have the inches marked up to 13 in on one side and at a right angle to that will be marked up to 10 in.. My sister came up with the idea on the Cedar Rapids run and it is so fast compared to using a tape as all you have to do is put the photo on the template.

I will also make sure that you have lightweight gloves to put on should you have some really dirty photos. This was more of a problem with photos in flooded areas.

I will answer you on your other email.

Thanks,

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

To the photographers/copiers going on the Spalding copy run,

I know it is a lot to ask of you but I will try anyways:

When you come across a photo that has really bad folds/dents could you photograph/copy it one more time but then turned feet up (180 degrees)?

There is a great method to repair this type of damage, very easy and very fast.

Thanks and good luck!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

david_gr

Thanks for the advice.  I will pass it on. 

Anything we can do to make it better is our goal.

David Gr   :up:

glennab

Wow, all, it sounds as if things are progressing well.  IM and I have our accommodations and travel plans firmed up, and we're pretty sure our granddaughter is going to do cat sitting duty for us.  I'm so excited about being able to finally get to another copy run, and IM is pumped about being part of this one, too.  

David and Margie, I know that OPR pays for supplies, but if we can bring anything, we'll be glad to.

We're looking forward to meeting everyone and having a great copy run.  BTW, I don't know if you are interested in this, but I wrote a daily journal on the Biloxi run to give our volunteers an idea of what happens while we collect photos, since many of you are so far away.  I'll be glad to do it again, unless I bored you to tears with the last one.  Let me know.

Hugs!

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Mhayes

GK,

We all enjoyed reading about the Biloxi run, so I know this copy run will be no different. It gives everone a feel for what it is like. It's great that you and IM are going.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

GK. I loved your report on the Biloxi copy run!  It would be great if you could find the time to do the same on the Spalding run.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]