• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

First Assignment - Comments Please

Started by Brian N, May 04, 2011, 11:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian N

This is my first assignment, and first "major" restoration effort.  In general I like to think it looks good.  My only concern is the tree on the right side.  I tried cloning but it looked more like a mass of shadows against a clean background.  I then attempted to recreate a tree with found brushes.  Appreciate any inputs, or better ways to recreate a tree.

Brian N

glennab

Brian, I think your restoration and color correction looks great. The tree is fine.  I don't see any areas that look cloned or similar to other sections.  My only question - and someone with younger eyes would have to determine that - is whether the blue at the bottom of the image should be a little less prominent. It's in the original, so I can't tell for sure whether it's damage or natural to the photo.  Margie???  Hannie???  Anyone????

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Hannie

Hi Brian,

Congratulations on your first OPR restore, it looks really good!
Tree looks great to me.

Glenna, the blue may very well be damage, I tried to remove it but the result may be a little too flat?

One little pick, there could be some more detail in the 2 subjects and the sign above the door?  (I used a layer mask and shadows/highlights adjustment)

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

kiska

You could also choose Selective color, white, lower the "offending" color shifts. Then add a new layer, set to color, gradually paint with good color.

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Mhayes

Hi Brian,

Great job on your first restore and your tree looks natural. The weird part is that at first I thought the women were outside going in, but that isn't the case since you can see the outdoors though the door. Maybe the tree could be a Norfold pine. I agree the blue could be damage or partly on how it was shot. Nothing more that I can add to the suggestions below.

Great to have you posting on the forum!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

schen

Great job Brian.  I think they are at the outside of the door.  The glass of the door reflects the outside framed by two columns on the sides.  The blue hue on the lower half as you restored it looks natural to me.  It is a clear autumn day and the lower half would have receive plenty of blue light from the sky and the upper half got from the golden color of the leaves as you can see in the reflection.

The far upper right corner shows a window above the tree in the original that disappeared in the restoration.  The right half of the original was leaning in because of the perspective.  It may not be necessary to straighten it.
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

Brian N

Thank you all for the suggestions and greatly appreciate the guidance.  I did straighten the image a bit as it looked like it was shot crooked and in the process lost most of the window.  I attempted to remove most of the blue with a graduated type mask but didn't want to remove it completely as I wasn't sure if it was damage or a fact of the photo.  I will certainly try to get more detail in the people and eagle above the door.  Again thank you all for the reassurance and guidance.

Looking forward to finalizing this photo, and the next photo opportunity.

Brian N