• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Some More Cleanup

Started by Alan_P, April 05, 2011, 02:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan_P

Hi Everyone,

Here is another one.

Alan

Mhayes

Hi Alan,

You have posted this under "Easy" and would love to see what difficult looks like. You have done a remarkable job so far. A couple of things will need to be changed and that is the bride's wedding dress. Never, if you want to live to a ripe old age guess on what is one of the most important things in a woman's life. This is where you need to ask your distributor for a reference photo or have us ask questions of the family. Even though it looks blue at the bottom, this is damage and her dress is white. You have left the square edging on the photo, but this is where another photo has stuck to yours and the imprint was left. I have enclosed a comparison that will give you a better idea of the bride's dress and the bouquet and the color of the flowers. The bride's maid will need more work on her dress and glove, but you have really done a good job trying to keep the sheer look. A very minor pic would be the lamp shade that needs the tiny spot of damage removed and the gold top fitting added. I would keep the dimensions of 4 x 6, but would crop it in a little to get rid of some of the bottom like I have done on the B/W. Great start!

If you need the reference photo, have Tess download it to you.

Click on photo for larger view.

Margie

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

haleygd

Hi Alan, good start on a tough job.

Don't take any feeback too harshly or it'll drive you batty (I know from personal experience.) Sometimes all the other photos are already gone out of the gallery so you may not have anything to go on but like Margie says, it is always good to ask the gallery distributor if you have any questions on what may or may not be damage. I think LevineW20_19 is other good photo to "borrow" for reference purposes as the bride is facing the camera from basically the same angle. I did not see another photo in the gallery that included the other lady (her mom?) that could be used as a reference for her.

I was getting a feeling of a bluish tinge on the left side of the brides face so I did a series of color corrections until I was happy. The one thing about these photos is that it is generally impossible to a single global color correction like a photo straight out of the camera. Typically you have to do several/many localized adjustments to account for the damage in that area. Often I will do a B&W adjustment layer and tweak the color sliders until the gray scale tonality of the damage matches the good area and then look at the tweaks I made to see what colors are impacting the photo. Then I will build a hue&saturation adjustment layer based on those tweaks. There are many different ways to accomplish the same thing and this forum is great for learning as others share their techniques.

The main point I want to share is "Mom's" arm and the glove. My red lines are a stab at how I think they should match up. To me it looks like the glove is too thin and needs to be wider. I also think you might have painted in just a touch too much flesh on the inside of the upper part of the arm.

Keep up the great and hard work; save often and walk away from it just as often so you are always fresh and ready to go.

Cheers!
Windows 7 & CS5 Design Premium, restoration in work photos uploaded at GaryHaley.photoshop.com

Hannie

I applaud any volunteer that post his/her WIP here!  :wnw: 
It is not always easy to read the criticism but I can assure you, all suggestions are made with the intent to help only and to get the best possible results.
I have learned (and still am learning) more about photo restoring on the OPR forum then from any book I've read on the subject. 

Alan, your restore is coming along great, Margie's and Gary's suggestions are really good and should be of help with the rest of your project.

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Alan_P

Hi Everyone,

Here is the latest.

Alan

Pat

Great improvement Alan!

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Johnboy

Alan you are just about there. To me the shadows on the glove seem to be too prominent. Perhaps softening them some may help. I also notice a couple white spots on the center bodice of the bride's dress (in the decorative part), and on her right side bodice. Looking at the original there appears to have been some damage in those two areas. They may need a little more work to even out the dress. At the end of the gloved fingers in the bouquet there is a white spot that may look better if you could finish out the rose. It may make the hand look better. I know there is a lot of damage in that area so finding fingers is tough. Getting rid of the white spot may help the hand (or what there is of it) to look more in proportion.

Johnboy

Mhayes

Alan, you've done a lot of improvement on this one! Since you don't have enough information on the glove; I would improvise and have it under the bouquet instead of over it. Also, on the bride, I would take some more of the flowers and lace and move over part of the arm to round it out better. I lightened up the bride's dress by using Curves and also using layer masks. On the bride's maid, I used a trick Kevin did on an earlier post and that was to use the motion blur to smooth it out more. I also lightened her dress some. Great job on a tough one.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Alan_P

Hi Everyone,

Here are the additional changes.

Alan

kevinashworth

Hi Alan_P

The ladies dresses still look grubby and mottled. You'd do well to apply the ol' motion blur trick on the yellow satin dress to the right. It really does work! Also Margies brightened Wedding Dress is a big improvement, but your current effort isn't showing that.

Alan_P

Hi,

This is about as far as I can push it without making it look blown out. I applied a motion blur to the previous try and I think it got the top of the dress. I added additional blut to the bottom.

Alan

kevinashworth

Hey Alan - There's still a way to go before it gets blown out... -a little more motion blur to the satin dress...

here's a pic from the same set, and it's restored version i've been working on - note how the ladies wedding dress is bleached out almost practically white: - Don't be afraid to bleach things out once in a while like i did with this here wedding dress. It's all about the smoothness.

MB

I think the mom has some mold on her face....they may look like age spots...i think is mold!
MB

Pat

Alan sometimes you can tweak your whites to a really nice white without loss of detail by using the color replacement tool.  You may have to fiddle around with the fade color replacement under edit to get it just right but once you get the hang of it it can be a great fix.

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Alan_P

Hi,

Added more motion blur and whitened the dress as much as I could.

Alan