• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Heartbreakist ng photo's from Japan

Started by Atlantis, March 30, 2011, 06:06:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atlantis

The only way to get better is to figure out what I did wrong.

Mhayes

Atlantis, thank for sharing! Photos are more powerful than words. Here is another link whose title says it all. What is so heartbreaking is that the owners may no longer be living: http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/03/24/in-japans-rubble-fragments-of-lives-past/?src=tptw

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

kevinashworth

Margie is there any way we can get something sorted out via the man who took those pics on your link - Ko Sasaki. He even has some of his work hosted on Photoshelter.

Perhaps he could set something up like a copy run, over in Japan.

Mhayes

Hi Kev,

I have made contact with both the photographer and the editor and have received no word back. I have also made other inquiries and right now the shock of trying to find love ones is taking center stage. The tragedy here is that often the scenes you view have no survivors. OPR has had one volunteer from Japan join with the hopes of helping, but I have heard noting back since.

Will keep you posted.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Tori803

Perhaps we should ask the Office of the US Ambassador to Japan whom to contact. They don't reply to emails sent through the emergency email address, but do have an address, phone, and fax number that can be used for making contact:

http://japan.usembassy.gov/e/info/tinfo-contact.html

The worst they could say is 'Can't help you.'

Tori
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

Mhayes

Tori, thanks for the link.

If you have been watching the news lately, you will have seen that the radiation from a near melt down is in the spotlight right now. With each day there is news that the radius for evacuation has increased and towns close by are looking like ghost towns.  A photo rescue will have to originate in Japan and hopefully a partnership with OPR could happen, but the timing will be some time down the road.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Tori803

Yes, it's a really sad situation in Japan right now. Judging from the newscasts a lot of the evacuee's won't be able to return home, and the bigger concerns right now are getting a handle on food and housing for the long term.

Tori
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge