• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

What kind of computer setup do you do restorations on?

Started by Kenny, September 10, 2006, 11:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

SoleAngelus,

It seems like it's been forever since I've seen a post from you. Glad to see that you're still around.

Dave
Dave Ellis
OPR Founder
[email protected]

glennab

Hey, SoleAngelus

Posting the web address of that monitor  was CRUEL!  I just ordered a 20-in Apple flat screen,  haven't even gotten it yet, and now I want a Seamless.  Shame on you!   (Kidding!)  What an incredible monitor.  Technology is awesome!

Slasher:

Santa came early.  I decided to wear the numbers off my credit card and get a new Mac system.  It's not quite my dream set-up, but it'll be great for the restorations.  My G3 started whining at me that she's tired and old -- so I had to do something!  I found a supplier who was willing to give me a price break because of the volunteer work.  Whoo hoo!

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Kenny

But why is the rum gone?

Kenny

I just ordered me a GeForce video card and 1GB of memory for my comp. I can't wait  ;D

It should really make photoshop run better. Not to mention improve my gaming  >:D

But why is the rum gone?

milanab

kenny, it did make a difference in my graphics, i am crosseyed from trying to adjust my monitor to suit me though. :crazy:  i have calibrated it best i can and hope i am doing right.  i may have to get a program someone mentioned on another photo site  i belong to.  i was amazed at the difference between my cs2 and pro paintX programs on the same image, the color difference was crazy.  gotta figure that out still since i use both on my images, still learning the cs2 so i go back to what i am familar with on some things.  which geforce did you order??  remember those games are addictive.....my hubby is diabetic and our doc had a fit when i told him how much time he sits there and plays.  he is going to casually fuss at him at his next appt. :mad:

how is your son by the way.  i have caught bits and pieces this week but been rather busy here and have failed to ask . 
without faith...there is no hope

Kenny

Milanab, I only have a pci slot available on my HP, so I'm limited on what cards I can use. I ordered a chaintech Geforce fx5200 128MB card from newegg. The reviews on it were really good, so that's what I went with. If and when I get to build my new system I'll have PCIE slots and I can get the GeForce I want then. Until then, the 5200 should help. Right now I'm stuck with onboard Intel extreme and it really lags on Wolfenstein and it won't run some games at all.

I'm diabetic too, so I have to watch how much time I spend sitting here. I try to take breaks pretty often. It's easy to let the time get away from you, though.

My son goes in today to get fitted with a traction brace. The neurosurgeon gave him a steroid and morphine injection in his back and ordered 7 weeks of physical therapy. He's hopeful that surgery won't be required. If he ends up having surgery though, they plan on doing a disk replacement instead of a fusion, which is good given his age (17). He's having a little trouble accepting the fact that he can't wrestle anymore, but we're giving him lots of support and love and helping him through this.

Thanks for asking  :)

Kenny

But why is the rum gone?

Ausimax

Hi,

I use a "White Box"   P4 - 2.8 Ghz - 256MB Ram, 40Gig HD and Philips 17" CRT Monitor running Windows XP.

I use PS CS2 with a Newman radio optical mouse, well actually I use two mice, the Newman just goes walkabout every now and then, the pointer just disappears and nothing else happens! You don't realise how hard it is to do anything on a computer without a mouse, even to shut the damn thing down. So now I have a USB mouse connected to take over when the other does a runner, its a pig to use but better than nothing.

Just a small tip for others who may be running PS CS2 on a RAM challenged computer, I find if I try to run Bridge at the same time as PS it bogs the computer down, yet the thumbnail interface is good if you are working through many files, my workaround is to use Irfanview Thumbnails instead.

In IrfanView goto Options/Properties/Misc2 and set external viewer/editor to your PS CS exe file address, then in Irfanview Thumbnails you right click the thumbnail, and from the menu chose "open in external editor" and the image opens in PS just as it does from Bridge, but it is not as resource hungry.

My wish list: More RAM, More RAM and a Graphics Tablet.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

cmpentecost

My computer crashed and died in March, and my husband insisted I get the best computer for all of my work in Photoshop, as well as my photography.  I do love that man!  Anyway, this is my computer (Windows version):

AMDAthlon 64 x 2 dual
Core Processor 3800+
2.01 GHz, 2.00 GB of RAM
23" Sony flat panel monitor
Wacom tablet

I had the computer custom built by a local computer shop, based specifically on my Photoshop and photography needs.  I love my computer setup and the Wacom tablet.  It didn't come cheap, but it has worked really well for me.   :up:

Christine

Kenny

Ausimax, it sounds like you could really benefit from some more RAM. I was running 512 and had trouble with some images. I just upgraded to 1GB today and it makes a difference.

Christine...I'm jealous :P nice setup!  :up:

Kenny

But why is the rum gone?

beckysell

Wow... you all have some great systems out there!  It's paying off too!

Ausimax

Update!

I have just installed another 512MB of RAM, and does it make a difference, no longer stuck in low gear, now I just have to keep wearing away at the Graphics Tablet.

Max

Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

Kenny

Yeah, it really helps, doesn't it Max? I just went from 512 to 1024 Mb and installed a GeForce graphics card with 129Mb of Ram. It really made the difference in my computer.

Make sure you go to your photoshop options and check the memory allocated to it and make sure you're taking full advantage of that extra memory.

Kenny

But why is the rum gone?

mabmsc

I use an Acer 3503 (1.5 ghz celeron m 370) widescreen.  Adding 512mb ram to the standard 256mb definitely was a wise choice.  I've also used Abobe Gamma correction to modify the colour space so that it more closely represents reality, and my 19in compaq crt monitor.

I use PSCS2 for photo restoration.

My xmas wishlist has just one item . . . a Wacom tablet

Brookie

cmpentecost

Brookie,

I hope Santa is good to you.  Once you get your Wacom tablet, you'll never go back!  I'd give up RAM and high speed internet before my tablet!

Christine

Kenny

Christine....quick question about the Wacom.

I rest my hand when I draw. Will this have any bad effects with a Wacom? I know other touch screens can be weird about resting your hand on them.

Kenny

But why is the rum gone?