• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Need Fresh Eyes

Started by Pat, March 14, 2011, 02:51:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat

Hi Everyone,

I've been working on this hansom young guy from Tess's gallery and could use some fresh eyes along about now.

Original:

WIP:

Thanks,

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Charlene5

Hi Pat,

I admire you for taking on a hand-tint.  They're a pain!  I've done a few and found it much easier to first, correct the color on the tinting and save a copy, then do a levels adjustment and put it back to black and white as it was originally.  Do all your repairs on the black and white and then retint it.  It sounds like more work but it isn't and I find it gives a better result. 

When I retint I drag out the orignal color corrected copy and use it as a reference - keeping in mind that there's a lot of damage to the tinting so exactly what color it should be is a judgment call on your part.  I work on a blank layer set to Color above the black and white, sample from the original, and start painting.  The gradations in the black and white will automatically do gradations in the color you are adding.  I use a new color layer for each bit - eyes, hair, clothes, and different parts of the skin on the face.  I used my favorite plug in to have a look at the original color and this is what I got:

It looks to be a fairly standard tint of the time to include the added pink to the cheeks.  His skin seems to have yellowed with age so I'd use that spot up by his hairline for a sampling placeI have no idea what the background color was!

MJ
Photoshop CS5
Alienware M17X
Dying Brain Cells

Pat

MJ thank you so much for the mini tutorial on how to best handle this photo!   It certainly sounds like a much better approach and I can see how it would give better results.  Going to give it a try.   :loveit:

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Pat

My results after starting over and using the method described by MJ:

Pat
Pat

kevinashworth

Hi Pat! Some lovely stuff going on with this one so far.

I thought the little chap could do with some dodge and burn for the cheekbones and such, so...

Pat

Kevin you are a real artist and true genius!  Portraits are definitely my weakest area -I think I was a glutton for punishment the day I picked this one.  Thanks so much for the input.  Think I need to study facial anatomy -or something.  Pat
Pat

kevinashworth

Well i wouldn't say genius, not by any means. I can draw people though. Happy to help  ;)

Hannie

Pat, sometimes it helps to place your restore and the original side by side.  Then look back and forth from one to the other quickly and it will become clear where you need to add more dodge/burn.  It also will tell you which parts need to be softened more.  (eyes e.g.)

Great job!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

kevinashworth

Nicely put Hannie. It's a good thing to keep comparing. i place the original layer up at the top, and keep switching it on and off.   Around 40% of the time i spend on restores is spent constantly switching between the original and the stuff i'm doing

Pat

Good suggestion Hannie, thank you!

I think I had a lapse of sanity the day I chose this particular photo from Tess's gallery.  The much needed help I received from you all has been so appreciated.  OPR volunteers are phenomenal!

Pat

Pat