• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Mother and Baby

Started by Alan_P, March 12, 2011, 04:25:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan_P

Hi Everyone,

Here is another one up for comments.

Alan

Mhayes

Alan,

This is a really hard one to color correct and find detail. What stands out is the propotion of the mother in relationship to the baby---she is about the same size only taller. Plus, I think her head is too big for her body. The arm looks weird, but I think it is because she had her shoulder rolled in. The yellow tile looked better and more even in the original (Florescent lighting probably increased the yellow) than what you have with browns, greens, and yellows mixed in. This may have happened as you tried to increase the contrast which I understand, but it has caused some weird color shifts. I think the mother's gown needs to have more shoulder and more gown coming out. The baby's outfit would look better if it matched the top closer. The sheets need to be lighter and not have the contrast as that makes them look dirty. The guardrail on your right has the highlights blown, but you can borrow from other areas. I would remove the red at the bottom of the rail.

Good luck!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

I found this in one of the Lab channels.  You can just see the outline of her back and the pillow behind her.

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Alan_P

Hi Everyone,

Here are the fixes.

Alan

Tori803

Hi Alan,

Looks like you're making good progress. Too bad the blue channel can't help here! I played around with a wacky curves adjustment and came up with this:

The shape you've followed for the woman's gown rather follows the purple shape here, which seems to be all damage. I wouldn't trust that shape for the flow of the gown. I think Hannie's gown drops down with a sharper angle, which looks more likely.

Tori
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

Alan_P

Hi Everyone.

I fixed the gown,

Alan

glennab

Hi Alan

You've done a remarkable job on this restoration.  The background looks great.  I think, however, that mom's shoulder needs to have more substance.  I know it doesn't look as if she has as much as I've indicated in the sample I'm posting here, but at this point she looks distorted.  I color corrected the original and copied and multiplied that layer twice and then just roughly drew where I think her shoulder might be. There's so much damage in that area that it's difficult to make out detail, so I'd look for a photo or position someone as mom is while she holds the baby and make the shoulder match that. What luck that you have the faces and hair!  Anyway, here's my impression, just as an alternative.

Cheers

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)