• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Military service ribbons and hash marks

Started by glennab, September 08, 2006, 11:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OPRAng

Hey Guys,

Boy, you guys could all have careers as detectives! For right now, I would say keep working on what you have. We don't have a ton of info on everyone, so contacting isn't always as easy as it seems. The other thing is that there is no guarantee that when this photo was destroyed they didn't lose the medals as well as documentation. Dave also had a good point, that when photo was taken he may not have yet earned everything that would show up on the DD 214.

I know I'm no help right now. All I can say is that you are doing an awesome job, and there is certainly plenty of damage to keep you busy. Keep up the great work!

Angela
Angela Ellis
Treasurer
Operation Photo Rescue, Inc.
[email protected]
[email protected]

glennab

Hi Ange

It did occur to me that the family may have lost any documentation and possibly the medals, but I thought I'd give it a try.  I certainly appreciate your responding and letting me know where things stand at this point.  I'm cranking on the rest of the photo and once I finish, I'm going to post the results for the gurus to critique and at that point maybe you and Dave can help me decide what to do about the ribbons and star.

Meanwhile I can't tell you how much I appreciate all the effort and encouragement I've gotten from the volunteers who've responded to my plea for help.  What a great group!

Thanks so much!

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

glennab

Hi again

Since we're a globe-spanning organization, I wanted to share this with you.  I registered on army.com and posted in several parts of their forum requesting help identifying the ribbons in my restoration.  Two responses came today - one from Ireland and one from Finland - from a gentleman who's done photo restorations.  Is it a small world?

The continuing help I've had from my compadres at OPR and finally getting feedback on the army web site - from outside the States - gives me hope for us all.  I feel like a world citizen and it's wonderful!

My best to you all!

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Kenny

Hi Glennab. Sorry to jump around to a different forum than I replied to this morning, but I figured you wanted this posted in your work log. I put together a ribbon rack for you.

I've sized and rotated it so it's fairly close to the original layout.

I've also emailed you the .PSD file I used so you can crop, size, and rotate it to  your heart's content  ;D

I hope this helps

Kenny :)

But why is the rum gone?

glennab

Kenny - Thanks so much for the effort you've put into this dilemma for me.  I can't wait to get home to see the ribbons as they're supposed to look.  You're wonderful!

GG

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Kenny

Glennab, the highest level of marksmanship is Expert. Most soldiers, especially senior NCO's, shoot expert. Even the ones who don't shoot that well will keep trying until they shoot expert. The rank is, from lowest to highest: Marksman, Sharpshooter, and Expert. Usually you will find two devices hanging underneath the badge itself to denote what weapon he qualified with. There's really no way of knowing what weapon tabs this gentleman had, so I put two tabs, which is the most common number. Once you skew and resize this and make it blend in, you won't be able to see the writing on the tabs anyway. Here's a .PNG of an expert badge with two qualification badges:

Let me know if this works for you

Kenny

But why is the rum gone?