• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Military service ribbons and hash marks

Started by glennab, September 08, 2006, 11:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glennab

Hi.  I need help in discerning the service ribbons and creating realistic hash marks for an Army gentleman in my latest restoration.  I've gone to the Army website, but I still can't identify any of the ribbons.  There's also what appears to be a star below the service ribbons, but I can't tell what it is.  I know that the hash marks are embroidered, but most of that detail is gone.  Any military experts out there who have suggestions?

Appreciate it!

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Peter_AUS

Regards,

Peter

klassylady25

:up:  Agreed...... would be great to see a picture but this link may be a help, also.
http://www.usmilitarystuff.com/

PhotoPhixUp

I may be able to help, I'm retired Air Force, most military awards and decs are close.  I have done some restoration for my Dad who is ex-Army.  Email me the photo and I may be able to help.  [email protected].  You can also look at my awards page at www.diggindigital.com 
Jimmy P

glennab

Hi my friends!

Here's the part of the image that concerns me.  I'm going to continue my own research, but any help will be greatly appreciated!

GG

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

PhotoPhixUp

http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Awards/Ribbons/OrderofPrecedence.htm

You can go to this site and match the ribbons in the photo to the ribbons on the chart.  There are other sites you can download the image, resize it, put the ribbons in the correct order and place them in the photo you're fixing.

The device under the ribbons appears to be a weapons qualification badge, there are 3 types, and they also have little banners hanging from the device to show the weapons you're qualified for.

I have images of those devices and can Email them if you want or just search for US Army>awards & decorations>devices>weapons qualification badges.  Then click images when you get your search results.

I know the Navy has a STAR.  It is possible this person was awarded a STAR from the Navy.  But in most cases you can wear decorations from other services, but you can't wear their devices.

Hope this helps!

Cheers!
Jimmy P

Kenny

could you post the full image by any chance? Low res would be ok. It might help if we could see any unit patches to help figure out what medals he is eligible for.

Thanks

Kenny

But why is the rum gone?

glennab

Hi Kenny

Here's the entire uniform.

Thanks for being willing to check this out for me.  I'm a former Navy brat, and my husband is a Marine, so we're not familiar with Army ribbons, medals, etc. - plus the photo is so damaged that it's difficult to see details, as you can tell.

GG

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

PhotoPhixUp

This man is a Senior NCO in his Dress uniform.  The badge under his ribbons is definelty a senior marksman badge,  The banner under the badge is the weapon he is qualified for.  Most likely the M-16.  The marksman badge is the St Georges Cross (looks like the blue max) with oak leaf clusters surrounding it.  Like Ceasar's head wreath.  I forwarded a copy to your Email address.

Cheers!
Jimmy P

Kenny

The uniform in question is a dress blue uniform. The man in the picture is a master sergeant. The badge below the medals is his qualification badge. Qualification badges come in 3 varieties in order of expertise; marksman, sharpshooter, and expert. His appears to be an expert badge. Here is an example:

Attached directly underneath the badge would be the qualification bar for the weapon in which he scored expert. Example:

The one pictured is for a rifle as you can see. Usually you will find at least 2; rifle and grenade. Pistol badges are also seen, but mostly on comissioned officers.

http://www.rangerjoes.com/uniform-accessories-badges-c-700_702.html?page=7&sort=3a  has some examples as well as images of each.

I'll try to find a high resolution image of a dress blue uniform so you can sample textures. I'll also try to match up the medals for you. I'm working on a computer for a client, but I'll try to do it as soon as I can.

Kenny

But why is the rum gone?

glennab

Jimmy & Kenny

Thanks so much for the information.  That's a great start to get me an accurate rendering of his honors.  I really appreciate it!  I'm struggling with the rest of the restoration right now -- the whole thing looks like the man in uniform -- there are plants, planters, chairs, drapes, his wife, carpet...all with the same amount of destruction.  Boy, I have my hands full!  But it's been a great learning experience.  I'll post the rest of the photo once I get to a point where I'm ready for feedback on the whole effort.

Thanks again.  You're the best!

GG

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Kenny

I'm wondering if it might be possible to ask Dave to contact the owner of this photo. I'm having trouble identifying some of his decorations. Coming from a military family you know how much accuracy counts when it comes to things like that. If the gentleman is deceased, I'm sure someone in the family has his medals. It would really help to have a little background on him.

Kenny

But why is the rum gone?

glennab

Kenny and Jimmy

You're both right.  There's so much damage that the pattern of the ribbons can't be discerned -- if you experts can't figure them out, I certainly won 't be able to.  I'm going to contact Mike and see if he can get information from the family for me.  You nailed it, Kenny, in saying that the honors are VERY important and should be correct if at all possible. Our military people deserve that respect!

Thanks so much for your input!

GG

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

PhotoPhixUp

Mike

If you can and do contact the family, they may not know the awards and decorations.  However, they are sure to have his DDForm 214, which lists all awards and decorations.  If they can send the form I can ID the awards and decs, build a rack image and forward it.

Cheers!

Jimmy P 
Jimmy P

Kenny

Good idea, Jimmy. The uppermost left one is giving me fits trying to ID it. If the blue and white were reversed it would be a purple heart. I'm unable to find one like it so far. Also, it appears to have a device in the center of it. It may be a unit citation, which would be unique to his unit. A DD214 would clear this up. However, if they happened to have the originals displayed that would make it uber easy. Let's hope we can find out something, If not, we'll come up with something.

Kenny

But why is the rum gone?