• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

need help with ID-ing areas

Started by Tess (Tassie D), February 09, 2011, 06:45:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tess (Tassie D)

Hi LSC, I edited your post as a poll cannot resize images. Just starting a normal topic instead of a poll is the easiest.

Quote from: LSC on February 09, 2011, 05:27:00 AM
I can't tell how to fill in the areas to the left, near the margin (See notations in white on the photo. Also, Can you tell what is under the pictures frames? -- LSC

Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Hannie

Hi LSC,

The blue channel may give you some more detail here?  It looks pretty good.

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Tori803

You sure picked a tough one, although there is a lot of detail in the blue channel. I'd enjoy following your progress with this one. Keep us posted!

Tori
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

LSC

Thank you, that is very helpful. Tell me, after I have used the blue channel to ID areas, do I ever do any restoration in that layer? Or do I use it simply as a reference? -- LSC (Lee)

Tori803

Here's one thread on using channels in restoration: http://www.operationphotorescue.org/forum/index.php/topic,394.0.html

Here's a second: http://www.operationphotorescue.org/forum/index.php/topic,1493.0.html

When I first joined OPR, Glenna had posted her WIP on a difficult restore. Here's how she used the blue channel: http://www.operationphotorescue.org/forum/index.php/topic,1252.0.html

These may be able to help you make use of the blue channel.

Tori
Tori

Mhayes

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

LSC

Thank you ALL for the tutorials on the blue channel. I am now finding this restoration accessible! -- Lee (LSC)

Tori803

Hi Lee,

Regarding:

I think the ear is covered mostly by hair. You can see that the earring has damage. You could copy the earring on the other side, if necessary, but the portion of ear on the right will have to be reconstructed.

To find a thread you had previously posted to, you can always click on "Profile" in the menu bar at the top, then click on "Show Posts" under "Profile Info" on the left.

Hope this helps!

Tori
Tori

Candice

I see it as a bit of hair coming over the ear.
Candice

LSC

Great, thanks-- and while we're at it, that dark area above the ear is a killer. No matter what channels or what adjustments I do, it is a dark blob. I can tease out a little bit of hair, but mostly dark. In a case llike that, do I just leave it dark? I tried to creat hair there, to match what her hair has on the other side, but it looked false.

LSC

LSC

Hannie

Nice adjustment Lee!

I wonder if the highlights on the forehead of lady on the right could be a little less blown out?

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

LSC

How did you make that adjustment Hannie?--

Hannie

Lee, I duped the layer and used the menu  Image>Adjustments>Shadows/Highlights.
The shadow slider went right back to 0% and the highlight slider some to the right, I don't remember how much, perhaps 20%.
Then a hide all (black) layer mask and with a very small white brush only go over the highlights on her face and forehead.

That left her skin tone too cyan so I used a selective color adjustment layer and in the whites I lowered the cyan all the way and increased magenta and yellow some.  Again a hide all layer mask and with the white brush go over the areas of her face where it was needed.

You can vary the opacity of the (adjustment) layers.

Hope this makes sense!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]