• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Toys

Started by kevinashworth, January 23, 2011, 08:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevinashworth

Hello, can enyone recognise any of the toys inbetween the two children in this pic? I can see the "Big Wheel" trike at the front, but the others are a mystery. Also to the left above the girl's head is what might be a generator - is that right? I'd like to know the exact model but maybe that's asking too much. Hope you can help

david_gr

Kevin,

I admire you for taking this one on.  It will be interesting to see what you do with the little girl's face.

The thing you are pointing to as generator looks to me to be an ice chest like people take on picnics. You see the kiddie basketball hoop in the back   The toy in the girl's lap could be a toy boat.  Behind the big wheel looks like a toy vehicle of some kind may be a toy truck.  The children are in inflatable pool.  You may want to look in some toy catalogs for help as well.

Good luck with this one.

David Gr  :)

Pat

Hi Kevin,

The toy in the pool between the two kids looks like a pirates ship.  I'm thinking the "generator" looks an awful lot like my own airconditioner although just as I was about to post this I see David is thinking ice chest and I wouldn't want to argue aginst that either.

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

kevinashworth

Thanks for the input! David I think it's a toy truck behind the trike too, and perhaps a white roller-skate with red wheels and maybe a helicopter thing. There seems to be an aerial sticking up on a radio controlled toy. That generator thing has got a grille/vent on it. Spent a while in google images looking through your suggestions and you're probably right with air-conditioner, Pat.

I'd really like the exact name/brand of those toys on the ground where the damage is. I've looked around on the internet, but the pic was taken around '86/'87 and these toys might not be made anymore. If those toys in the background can't be named then what can be done with that bit of the pic?

glennab

Hi, K

I agree with Pat that the generator-appearing object is the compressor of a central air conditioning unit. 

When I zoom in on the little truck behind the tricycle, it looks as if it has a trailer, hence 6 wheels.  The wheels look very similar, even though you can't see them completely.

In a case where you can see so little of an object that you can't identify it (or at least this is what I do), try to keep the shapes and colors as best you can, but don't worry about what it is (I'm specifically addressing the dark shapes inside the house).  It would still be difficult to fill in the blanks and be true to the original.

Good luck with this tough one!

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

kevinashworth

Thanks GK I always like to know how others tackle areas that are missing. Good tip. Yes i reckon it will end up being vague shapes and colours rather than detail.  :up:

kevinashworth

Hi everyone,

Here's the pic so far - have i made the right decision by deciding not to include some of the toys and the air conditioning unit? There's so little detail to go on. You know how sometimes when you start work on a pic, you can see in your mind's eye how it's supposed to look? well, i just can't visualise what's going on with those areas.

Also please give comment on the colour. Colour is not my strong point, and i think the kids skin looks a bit green, but don't know what else to do.

And david_gr - heres the little girl's face so far!

david_gr

Great work, Kevin!  :)

Charlene5

You actually did them a favour - people will look and think they have a very tidy garage!
Photoshop CS5
Alienware M17X
Dying Brain Cells

Tori803

Looks good Kevin!

Tori
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

Mhayes

Kev, this looks great! Also, seamless repair on the girl's face after finding out you could use other photos of her in the gallery.

Margie

P.S. I don't think it looks natural to have the garage so clean and tidy---just kidding!

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

kevinashworth

Using reference photos helped a great deal, especially this one

Thanks for confirming that it is the same girl, Margie.

JTJB

Kevin,

Awesome job on this restoration it looks fantastic.  In my opinion you made the right call with the background.  This outcome gives much better balance to the photograph and less clutter.  The skin colour fine.  There is a tendency for the kids to appear a little green, however, this can be pumped up a bit by increasing the saturation of the reds and oranges and boosting the contrast a little over the skin.  In this case I find the vast amount of grass around the skin doesn't help and often tricks our eyes especially when we have been looking at it for a long period of time.   The adjustments are minor and I think this fixes what you were concerned about.   :up2: :up2:

opr6 by JTJB Enterprises, on Flickr

kevinashworth

JTJB i'll try and replicate what you've done and then send it on it's way. It's good to have you here on the forum  :up:

JTJB

Kev,

I did this very quickly with a plug in, but you will get the same with some minor adjustments with a hue saturation layer.  I find even when colour correction is spot on by the numbers, I still need to put a little life back into the skin.

JB