• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

For those interested, Steve Irwin (Crocodile Hunter) died today sadly

Started by Peter_AUS, September 04, 2006, 03:25:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter_AUS

on the Great Barrier Reef whilst filming a Documentary on Stingrays.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20349888-2,00.html  Link to news article.

Please remember him and his family in your prayers.

It is a sad loss to the world of a man that bought animals to everyone in a new and interesting way.
Regards,

Peter

Veronica

I was so shocked when I saw the newsfeed.  A sad day indeed for the entire world. 

My thoughts and prayers to his family and friends.   :'(

Kenny

Oh no! I couldn't believe it when I saw it. I'm at a loss for words, really. Like Veronica said, his family are in my prayers

But why is the rum gone?

glennab

What a terrible loss.  I adored Steve Irwin.  He so loved the animals that he cared for and studied -- and he brought much-needed awareness of the fact that we need to respect all life, even those creatures that may not be cuddly and adorable.  I think it's a blessing that if he had to be taken from the world so early that at least he was doing what he loved, and apparently he had a quick passing.  I grieve for Terry and their two babies.  They will all certainly be in my prayers.   I know I'm shocked and bereaved!

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Kenny

I've seen it on the news all day, but It still feels so unreal. Steve was such a likeable fellow. I always enjoyed watching him work. He died doing what he loved...having an adventure. I grew up watching Marlin Perkins on Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom, and of course Jacques Cousteau. I feel so bad for his family in this tragic time.

Godspeed, Steve. You're embarking on the greatest adventure of all.

But why is the rum gone?

glennab

Slasher

I love the art you posted.  Did you create it?  It's wonderful and really brought a tear to my eye.  An appropriate tribute.

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Kenny

Glennab

Yeah, I made it. I just felt like I needed to put it together...it's hard to explain, really. When I was a kid, Every time I heard the Mutual of Omaha music I would run to the TV to watch. Marlin Perkins, along with Jim Fowler were my heroes. They made learning about animals fun and interesting. Jacques Cousteau was another hero of mine. I loved that little frenchman. He lived a life I could only dream of, roaming the endless seas, exploring.

Steve Irwin is definitely in that class as well. He lived a life most of us can only dream about. He inspired millions to learn more about the world around us. He was the hero kids looked up to. In this culture of questionable role models, he was one who outshone all the others.

Yes, he will be missed, but his legacy will live on. Just like Marlin and Jacques, Steve will take his place as one of the great adventurers of our time. He will live on, in the hearts of everyone he touched. Out there is a child who was inspired by him who will grow up to be the next hero.

Thank you, Steve

Kenny

/I didn't intend for that to come out as a Eulogy, but I get going and it's hard to stop :P

But why is the rum gone?

milanab

i can hear marlin perkins in my head as well...nobody on earth could segue from content to commercial like he could. "and just as the mother cougar cares for her young , you want to care for your family as well,let mutual of omaha show you how "  .hahahha..i always enjoyed his programs.  neat artwork...
without faith...there is no hope

glennab

Kenny --

I think it's so special that you're able to express your thoughts and feelings through art.  I loved Jacques Cousteau too, but I was out of the country too much when I was younger to be familiar with Marlin Perkins.  Knowing who he was, though, seeing your montage of the three of them was incredibly touching.

Steve was a great guy.  He reminded me of a big kid with his amazing enthusiasm and obvious love of all creatures.  I'd like to think that he's surrounded by his beloved animals right now, as well as his fellow protectors of the amazing life with which we're privileged to share this world.

You created a wonderful means by which to express the sense of loss and still give it a positive spin.  You're awesome!

GG

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Ratz

Slasher, that is a lovely tribute to a very special man.We here in Australia will miss him terribly,he was a great ambassabor for our country. He boosted peoples awareness of the world around them and his enthusiasm was infectious.

John

This really bummed me out as well.  I was never really interested in crocodiles, but I always watched what Irwin did whenever he was on TV.  It was his enthusiasm in his work that really impressed me.  And while it is sad that he has gone, at least he was doing what he loved. 

I'll post a picture from a swamp tour I went on last June down in New Orleans in his honor... how can you not look at a crocodile and not think of Steve Irwin?