• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

First restore ...not sure

Started by marlene, November 30, 2010, 05:30:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marlene

I can see all the differences on the charts , except the small chart with the blacks , there I can see only the first 2 as different .Is that ok , or do I need to change things ?
I just got this new monitor ...LED - HD .

G3User

Good news Marlene

That is an excellent result so you don't need to do anything. There is one other check worth doing, that is to see what the gamma of the monitor is.

The following link will take you to a page displaying the test chart. You need to move back from the screen and squint at it. The number next to the area where the vertical bars seem to blend into each other is the gamma, these days PCs ad MACs both seem to work around 2.2.

http://www.normankoren.com/makingfineprints1A.html#gammachart

Try that and let me know.

Athol

marlene

looks like the Gamma is between 1.8 and 2.0

G3User

Seems a bit low, it might help to try and correct it

Further down below the gamma test chart you will see a mention of Quickgamma. It only works on a PC, I used it on a previous monitor and it seemed to do the job

Not familiar about what to do if you are using a Mac. A google search for "mac gamma adjust" brought up lots of hits and it seemed that, depending on the version of operating system there may be some ability to make correction without additional software. Perhaps one of our members may have a suggestion.

Athol

Edit  Had another thought while giving the dog a swim, it's a tough life. You mentioned a new monitor, did it come with software and have you installed it?

A

marlene

thanks , I downloaded the Quick Gamma and installed it .
I use a Windows Pc .

Hannie

Marlene, one of the best gadgets I bought a few years ago is the Huey calibrator. 
I got the cheapest version (expensive version, Huey Pro, has more elaborate software but exact same hardware) and it does an amazingly good job for the price.

Sometimes when the time between calibrations has been too long I find that my eyes deceive me and initially I don't like the result.  That is because your eyes can deceive you and make you think that you see the wrong colors.  After about a day or so your eyes adjust.  If you flip back and forth between the before and after then you can really tell the difference!

I always turn off the "ambient light" adjustment function when I'm doing photo editing. 

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

marlene

@ Athol .
It came with drivers , which I installed and some software , which I installed and the uninstalled , I didn't think some of the special features were anything really usefull .
Here are the specs :

Screen Size    21.5"
Brightness (Typical)     250cd/m²
Contrast Ratio (Typical)    MEGA DCR (Static CR 1000:1)
Resolution    1920 x 1080
Response Time (Typical)    2ms (GTG)
Viewing Angle(Horizontal/Vertical)     170˚/160˚ (CR>10)

Features    Special Features    Magic Angle, Magic Eco, Magic Return, Cinema Mode, MagicBright3, Off timer, Image Size Color Effect, Customized key, MagicWizard & MagicTune with AssetManagement, Win 7, Safe Mode (DownScaling in UXGA)

G3User

Looks like it is a Samsung monitor?

Had a quick look at the features on the PX2370, there seem to be lots of options for the monitor to be smart including adjusting brightness to suit the ambient light. It also supports sRGB which as I understand assumes a gamma of 2.2. If you haven't loaded the software I presume it is not trying to be smart which is good.

The maximum brightness is considered to be way too high for work on photos, the preferred brightness is about half that in a room with subdued lighting.

Did you run Quickgamma, did it lead you to make any changes?

I went the same way Hannie suggested and have been using a Spyder3Pro most of this year. Using a calibrator is the only way to measure the brightness of the monitor. It will generate a set of corrections necessary to make the monitor gamma 2.2 and correct the color temperature. The corrections are then loaded into the video card and run automatically. Like Hannie, I don't have automatic brightness happening and totally agree with her comments about your eyes deceiving you.

It costs but is worthwhile if you are serious about working with images, maybe Santa might be good to you 8)

Then again perhaps do a few more restorations and see how they go

Athol