• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

I need another set of eyes

Started by Alan_P, December 12, 2010, 05:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan_P

Hi Everyone,

My eyes are starting to get buggy from looking at this one and I need some fresh eyes to look at it.

Thanks,
Alan

philbach

Well these things sort of drive one nuts.  I did notice an object on the original that wasn't on your restore.  The white thing.

phil

MB

Hi Pilback, the background wall stand out over the people.  You may want to apply a little Gaussian burr to background so it blends better with the persons.  The boy on the right looks like it has a sideburn, but i think is damage
MB

Mhayes

Hi AlanP,

Kudos for talking this one on. I agree with MB on the background standing out too much and not sure you want that kind of detail.  I would take the original background that has very little detail and restore out. Right now, your background looks like one of those dividers that can be pulled out or folded in. It is possible that it may be a curtain. I don't know how comfortable you are using layer masks, but they would be a big help on this one. Masks would also let you restore around the people and the background without them looking like they are cut outs that are placed on the background.

The table setting is a real challenge. There are some water glasses that you have restored that I think were OK in the original. In the front, you will see in the original that a distorted view of candle holder, cake, whatever is showing through and that is OK. Also, the glass in front of the young boy either has a dark liquid in it or is showing the background behind it. As to what Phil mentioned; I think it looks more like a place card. I have no idea what the plaid object in front is.

For fun,  :P you might want to work some more on the two woman on your left. On the front center plate, you have some detail to what the food looks like on the plate. The next one over you will have to do as you did and make a copy. After that I don't think there are any more place settings with with food--glasses maybe, but not food. Last and this is more of a "yeah right' suggestipn: Maybe if you can shade where the blue table cloth comes down to give it more of a 2 dimensional look. This last is up to you.

Great start!

Margie

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Hi Alan,

You sure picked a doozy but it looks already a lot better than what you started with!  The great tips and suggestions should help you to finish it.
I noticed one more thing, the girl on our left has hair that seem to be a little longer at the side and back.  Also  the older lady on the left, the part of her glasses that you cloned should be just a little lower/to the right, perhaps even warping can help out here.
(in my example you can also see the folds in the table cloth)

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Alan_P

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for the input. I really appreciate it. The plaid objects are napkins. I didn't think there was enough there to clone more. I left the fruit in on the right because it looks like there is fruit there to me. I admit that when I look at parts of the picture I can't tell what is damage and what is picture at times. At this point I am leaving anything in that I am not sure shoud be removed.

Thanks again,

Alan

kiska

Alan, this is a rough one!
You could crop down a little, keeping the same dimensions and resolution of 300.
The boy's hand on the table edge will help with the table top perspective. I think I would blur the background wall...it's really not important to the pic and is distracting. Also darken it.

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro