• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

How's the weather at OPR Headquarters?

Started by John, September 01, 2006, 07:35:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John

Hope you guys are staying dry.  Saw the news tonight and looks like Ernesto is going to do some damage as it comes up through the Mid-Atlantic states.

I'm supposed to see Bob Dylan at Doubleday Field in Cooperstown this weekend and it's looking like it's going to be a washout. 

Ptollemy

Please send the rain down my way. We've just had the driest winter in 8 years and I fear this does not tide well for the approaching summer/bush fire season.

glennab

Hi

I hope none of you was in the way of Ernesto

Jeez I hate those things.  We were making contingency plans at work as to who was going to take what back-ups home just a few days ago, and all we got was some heavy rain.  You never know where they're going to go or what they're going to do.  We've learned not to be complacent, but our guardian angel is still on watch.

One of my co-workers enlightened me as to a great place to store valuables in the case of a hurricane or flooding -- the dish washer.  (Of course, my beloved husband had to suggest that it not be turned on.  He's a sketch!)  Since hubby and I are the dishwashers in our house, we have a safe that hopefully will keep our papers and photos intact.

Stay safe and I wish good weather for all of you, whether it be rain in drought-stricken areas (ptollemy), or sunshine where the rain's been pelting (us!).

Have a great long weekend!

GG

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

John

Quote from: glennab on September 01, 2006, 09:56:54 PM
Hi

I hope none of you was in the way of Ernesto

Jeez I hate those things.  We were making contingency plans at work as to who was going to take what back-ups home just a few days ago, and all we got was some heavy rain.  You never know where they're going to go or what they're going to do.  We've learned not to be complacent, but our guardian angel is still on watch.

One of my co-workers enlightened me as to a great place to store valuables in the case of a hurricane or flooding -- the dish washer.  (Of course, my beloved husband had to suggest that it not be turned on.  He's a sketch!)  Since hubby and I are the dishwashers in our house, we have a safe that hopefully will keep our papers and photos intact.

Stay safe and I wish good weather for all of you, whether it be rain in drought-stricken areas (ptollemy), or sunshine where the rain's been pelting (us!).

Have a great long weekend!

GG

don't be so sure about that glennab... we were just flooded out of our place for a couple weeks back in July.  The sewer backed up and our bathtub, kithen sink, and dishwasher filled up with 'water' due to the blockage. 

Sounds like a good idea, and I might have thought the same, but after I saw what was possible with a water backup I'd be careful relying on that as a safe spot for valuables, in an emergency situation anyway.

glennab

Hi John -- that was certainly enlightening!  What a nasty mess you must have had to deal with. 

I guess it's just as well that we don't have a dishwasher that we depend on to keep our precious things from damage --  I'll have to let you know about the safe. Hopefully that'll never be an issue, but we're way past due to get hit.  We have all the hurricane emergency supplies at the ready.  But I still have to do something about my photos ...  I have them in waterproof locking plastic boxes, but I suspect that's not going to be good enough in a really bad storm.

You'd think that in doing these restorations I'd be going to greater lengths to keep my own photos out of harm's way.  Maybe I'll work on that this weekend!  Procrastinators Anonymous is not a good organization to which to belong!  We never even get around to having meetings, for crying out loud!

Have a great weekend!

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

milanab

if you find out where the meetings are someday...let me know.  i am right there with you
without faith...there is no hope