• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Man w/ 2 color of eyes

Started by MB, November 06, 2010, 09:16:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannie

MB, if scroll down towards the end of the page, I have posted all the links for the FFT, Mac version:
http://www.operationphotorescue.org/forum/index.php/topic,1564.0.html

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Tess (Tassie D)

Anyone with a Mac can download this one which includes FFT for Macs. http://rsb.info.nih.gov/ij/download.html
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

MB

I tried to make the FFT filter work...no luck...This is what i have so far...
1. I had to use gaussian blur to remove the album damage.  I lost some detail in the process
2. I changed color in the eyes.  I still have to fix the bottom eyelid and i got more work around the bad eye.
3.  I can not see a lapel (is that what its called?) on his jacket.  There is no detail on the jacket.

Should I stop now?  What do you think...if am doing damage to the photo let me know now...i don't want to waste time.
MB

Mhayes

MB, nice start, but you may want to stop and see if someone who is comfortable with doing the fft could try their hand--Max?  :) The problem with doing a Gaussian blur on this one is that it starts to look like a painting, but it did clean up the damage. He is looking better, but I think you will want more detail back and to soften up the shading from his eyebrow down to his nose.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

This is one of those restore that is much harder than it looks.
The texture of the photo is less of a problem than the horizontal stripes that were left after the photo was removed from the album. (probably one of those 70's albums with plastic stick on sheets)

I did an FFT filter on the original and the results were visible but not significant. 
Those album stripes are not regular and cannot be removed with the FFT filter.

I also noticed that this photo was a black and white and was later (badly) colorized. 
MB, you did a great color correction and the damage repair is going well too. 
The eyebrows need more definition, like Margie already said.  The eyes were masked when you applied the blur, that is a good thing but now it almost seems like they are too sharp compared to the rest?

For the lapel you can do a search on the Net and find an example that you can copy?

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

MB

I know I have a lot of work to finish around the eyes & eyebrows...I will correct the sharpness of the eyes at the end if i am to keep working on the photo.  I thought this was a painted photo & i am glad Hannie noticed that.  Hannie said she could not get the FFT filter to remove the album damage well.  
So, Margie do you want me to continue working of the photo as it is now or do you want me to stop?  I know i have a  lot of work left, i just wanted to see what you thought of the gaussian blur effect.
MB

Mhayes

MB, go ahead and keep working on the photo if you want. One thing that I do when I use a Gaussian blur (just to the point that the dots start to blend with the skin) is to have two copies--the bottom layer without and the top with the blur. I do a layer mask and conceal all and then when I used the brush and vary my opacity so that I can work on the skin to look natural and not too smooth. The eyes I will not blur, but as Hannie mentioned if the rest is too smooth and the eyes are sharp with detail; it will stand out.

Keep posting and it will be fun (for us) to see how this comes along.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

MB

Done or almost done?  I don't like his left eyebrow....
MB

Hannie

Hi MB,

Somehow this version seems less blurry than the last version, it looks much better!
The left eyebrow, perhaps you can thicken it a little towards the nose and down some?

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

MB

Yes, it is less blurry!  I deleted the blur layer & used the heal brush on most of the photo.  I also used the blur brush around the face...it seems to help some with the lost of detail.   I just notice that the photo is a little to light. 
MB

Mhayes

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

MB

Good, i did a couple more corrections.  It was a little to light & fixed the eyebrow...I will uploaded now.
MB

Mhayes

MB, it would be nice if you wouldn't delete one version and put another one in its place. It gets really confusing to see comments under your restore that really belong to the one before. I liked the previous one better for his suit. Now his suit has changed from brown to almost black and looks more painted whereas the previous didn't.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

MB

Margie, I did not replace the picture.  Your comment is with the same picture I posted.   The only difference on the post is that i added the original photo to the post.  I thought i was done, but I can still change the color of the sweater.  I used the burn tool to darken the whitish areas on the sweater & that is why its so dark.  Do you want me to fix the problem with the sweater?
MB

Mhayes

MB, sorry, but I thought it was different. To me the original is more of a brown and you can see the weave in the jacket, whereas I don't see that in yours and it is a lot darker. Open to more feedback as that is just my take.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]