• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Man w/ 2 color of eyes

Started by MB, November 06, 2010, 09:16:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MB

Questions: 
1.  Is the texture on the photo damaged from an album?  To me it looks like texture & not album damage.
2.  Eyes!!!  Does he have 2 different eye colors?  The blue eye looks so natural, but it has obvious water damage.  Are both of his eyes hazel?
3.  Is this a color photo that was slightly painted?
MB

philbach

:mad: :wow:
Well darn.  I took a quick look at :http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_color and found out that your photo has a subject that has Heterochromia.  Wow.   So I believe each eye is colored differently.

The texture came from the photo paper I would imagine.  These photos are photographed and not scanned to digitize them.

I came up with a slightly different color than you did by using levels on all of the individual color channels.  I believe your initial color correction may have more yellow in it than this one that I color corrected.

phil

MB

Thanks, Philback... I corrected the yellow tone.   I had a friend in high school that had 2 eye colors.  The bluish eye also has more markings that the hazel eye.  My friend eyes had similar markings also.  
MB

kiska

You might want to wait for a distributor to check with the family. IF it's the same guy but older as another photo from this family, I believe both eyes are hazel.
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

MB

Thanks, Kiska   
I have a lot of work on the pic.   This photo is from Margies gallery, so I will not work on the blue eye until Margie tell me what she wants to do.   
MB

Mhayes

MB, I contacted the owner and she said both eyes are blue. I would have gone with Kiska on betting that the eyes were hazel. It won't take much to bring out more blue in the other eye to blue. I think what you are seeing is damage from an album that plastic covering the photo. I don't think the photo was hand colored, but I could be wrong.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Tori803

Margie or Kiska, what's the best way to deal with the photo album damage? Pixel by pixel?

Tori
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

Hannie

Looks like the photo album damage has a bit of a pattern, perhaps the FFT filter may be of help here?

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

MB

Blue eyes, ok.  How can the only good eye turn hazel?!!!  I find it very interesting.  About the album damage,  it make it easier to work with the photo if i do no have to keep the texture...thanks for all the comments...

MB

Mhayes

MB, I would imagine flood damage. The really good eye is really not that far off. If has a more of a gray look and that is why I thought a hint of the blue would not be hard to do. I would be tempted to use the eye dropper to get color from the other eye and then add a layer, change mode to color and then use a soft brush to get the blue on the other eye.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Johnboy

MB,

I am going to chime in and disagree about the pattern being album damage. I think it is a textured photo paper. Usually textured papers like this are used in portrait photos because it gives a softer look to the photo. I can't think what the pattern is called. I have used similar paper with black & white photos when I was in school. Check the background and if the pattern is the same as you show on the face I would vote for the paper texture. Perhaps Margie can check with the owner again about this.

Johnboy

PS. Glad Margie checked about the eyes because I would have left then as they were. One of my photo instructors had 2 different eye colors.

Mhayes

Johnboy, I agree with what you said about it have textured photo paper, but I think when these type of photos are in an album with a plastic cover and then are pulled up--that creates the damage and shows the slanted raised lines. However, it could also be just texture of the photo.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Ausimax

Hi Phil,

You probably already know this but: On some of these textures the FFT filter helps, I tried it on this one and it didn't do much of use, so the other method I use is to duplicate the image, add a mask to the new layer and mask out important detail like eyes etc.

Then Filter/Noise/Median I used a setting of about 2 on this image I find it works better than using Blur doesn't seem to loose as much detail.

Then I just select the area with the best texture as a sample point and using the Healing Brush Tool paint over the textured areas, I generally use a very small brush when working near other detail and paint in the direction of any natural detail.

This rough example took about 5 min, just gives a bit of an idea of how it may work.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

Tori803

I came across a tutorial ( http://www.skeller.ch/ps/fft_action.php ) on the FFT filter with a Photoshop action. I tried it on this photo then applied the Noiseware filter to reduce noise. This is my result:

Tori
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

MB

They dont make this filter for a mac....
MB