• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Class of 1935

Started by david_gr, October 29, 2010, 01:40:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david_gr

I see 3 different shades of background for this photo.  Does anyone know an easy way to make the background consistant throughout?  The sepia shown in number 2 would be my choice.

As you can see I am just beginning on this one. I used a multiply layer to bring out some of the detail.  It makes the colors richer not so washed out.  I have done the Principal and 2 girls to the left.

All comments, suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

David Gr   :)

Ausimax

David, just my take on this one, I would probably convert to B/W to restore and change to sepia when I had completed the restoration.

Re: The background I would select the colour you think the background probably was and creat a fill layer with this colour adding noise to creat texture, then place this layer below your working layer, then add a mask to your working layer and paint out the old background on the mask.

This is the method I have found most usefull on badly damaged text documents.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

Hannie

Over a hundred restores for the price of one...  aren't you lucky David!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

david_gr

Hannie, I know I'm a glutton for punishment.  But for some reason, I find group pictures like this interesting as well as a challenge.

Max, Thanks for the advice. 

Folks, Don't expect this any time soon but I think it will a great learning experience and fun to do.  (I know a weird sense of fun!)

Some of the captions are illegible but I will do what I can.

David Gr  :)

david_gr

Here is what I have so far. 

I have the portraits restored for the most part and have started to paint in the background.  Some of the names are illegible but I will restore what I can. I need to finish painting in the background and finalize the restorations.  I figure to give it a sepia tint as a final step.

I would like to finish this in time for the Lawsons to get it by Christmas.  It is taking me a lot of time but I feel like I am slow but sure.   Is it possible for me to print it on poster size paper.  It just begs to be printed full size.  I would print it and send it on by mail to wherever?  I would pay for it.  I think it would be a special gift for the Lawsons.  Would that be all right?

David Gr  :)

david_gr

This is what I have to work with. 

Anybody have any suggestions on how I can get this readable?  I have tried everything I know with no success.   :-\  If I can't get it any better I will leave it pretty much as is.

David Gr

Mhayes

Hi David,

I couldn't make the name out any better than what you have. I did a high pass and then sharpened, but I think it is going to have to stay faded.

We don't send off any prints larger than 8x 10 to DigMyPics because of the shipping cost to them. The larger prints would have to go separately and since they are paying for all are shipping and printing, OPR had to limit the size. We have a few exceptions where the size will be reduced for printing, but they will have the jpg in full size. In your particular poster; the original size was 11 x 14 before being reduced. Because it could not be proportionally reduced to an 8 x 10, a black background was added. I'm not against the idea of having it poster size, but your copy would mean cropping out the border and up-sizing and I wonder if that would cause it to loose some sharpness?

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

battleaxe

Doing different exposures, this is what I got.   Still can't quite get the name.
Does this help?

Hannie

Hope this can be of help, found it on the Net.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

david_gr

Thanks Hannie.  :)  I'll use it.  It's coming along however slowly.  You were right this is a major project.  I just need to persevere.

David Gr

david_gr

Well, it looks like the end is in sight on this one.  I have some minor adjustments but I need some advice on which would look better, black & white or sepia.

Here's the black & white:

Here is the sepia one:

While this has been fun, I need to get this finished since I have some other things I need to get started on for the new year.

Hey everybody, remember you can get your income taxes done for free by AARP. Most people qualify.  There is no age limitation.  The only limit is on the complexity of the return.  Check with your local senior center to get a reservation.  (This is one of the reasons I want to finish this restore.)

David Gr

Hannie

Beautiful restore(s!!) David!
I like the black and white the best but you can always upload both versions.

Hope you will have doing tax returns, AARP sounds like a great organization.  Over here I won't get to do my tax return until around Feb/March.

:up:

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

david_gr

Hannie,

Thanks for the kind words on the restoration.  It took at while but it was worth it.

FYI We don't start doing taxes until Feb but I have to brush up my tax knowledge and learn what's changed.  Our lawmakers like to change it every year to keep us on our toes. 

David Gr

Hannie

I guess it is the same all over the world! 
This year my tax return will be a lot easier:  the lovely Dutch government has cut all of the deductables for the medical costs, will have to pay now instead of getting a tax refund we will now have to pay extra!   :cool:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]