• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Clown w/Girl

Started by david_gr, October 19, 2010, 01:05:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david_gr

This one looks fairly straightforward until you start working on it. Here is the original:

Here is where I am now.  I think it's just about done.  I had some problems with the clown's tie.  Does it look okay?

Any comments, and advice will be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

David Gr :)

philbach

:up2:Hi Dave, I downloaded your original and looked at the RGB channels.  Wouldn't you know, the blue channel looked pretty darn good.  Perhaps that would be a good way to start
phil

lurch

Hi David,
Phil is right - except for some tiny dust or mold spots, the blue channel seems to be undamaged, particularly in the face which still has some damage in your WIP, and your troublesome tie.
<C>

Marydh

Phil or Lurch,
Would you mind telling me the best way to download
David's original?
Thanks,
Mary

kiska

The blue channel does most of the work for you.

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

philbach

Hi Mary, I use a mac but what I do is right click the photo and it says save image as: and I select that and the image goes to my desktop.  I would imagine it would work the same way a windows OS too.
phil

david_gr

Hey Guys, Thanks for advice.  :)

I had a heck of a time converting it to blue channel black and white. I opened the original JPEG file using PS CS5.  In the channel pane, I selected the blue channel and deselected the other channels.  Then on the right side of the pane I selected the icon over there which brought up several options.  I selected split channels and it gave me 3 black and white files one for each channel.  I closed the other two and saved the blue one.  This is probably not the best way to do it but I sure can't figure any other way to get that blue channel to stand alone.  ???

If you all know an easier and better way, let me know.  Any help is greatly appreciated.
It was fun figuring a way to do it.  ^-^  Now I have some cloning work to do.  That's all right I learned something.

David Gr

kiska

David:

Go to the channels palette
click the blue channel
Select all
copy
Click the rgb channel at the top to activate all channels
Paste

You will now have the blue channel in a layer above the background
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

david_gr

Everybody,

Here is what I have now.  I hope it is ready to upload.

What do you all think?
I keep on getting these photos that appear easy at first glance.  The closer I look the more challenging it gets.  I helps me to increase my knowledge and skill. Right?

Got to go, lunch is ready.  Thanks again for the advice and support.

David Gr

lurch

David, looking great. They ALL look easier than they turn out to be. I think that's because we see them before the distributors run them through their muck machines - wish there was a smiley for grin, duck, and roll.
<C>

Hannie

David, could it be that the last photo you posted (mistakenly) was the same as your first version in this topic?  It doesn't look like the blue channel to me.

Hannie

Lurch, do you mean something like this?

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

david_gr

Hannie, you got me. The tie gave it away. Oops!  :-\  PS Whose baby?  Cute.

Everybody,  Let's try this again.

Can we keep it this size?  It covers a multitude of sins.  :) 

I am hoping this one will be okay to upload.  As always, I appreciate the input.

David Gr

lurch

@ Hannie - yeah, right!
<C>

glennab

Hi David

Don't forget that you have the option of Calculations, in which you can mix two channels and control the opacity and blending mode of the result.  With yours I actually combined blue with blue and brought down the opacity to 80%.  It gave me a more vibrant and darker version of your blue channel alone.  With Calculations, you can save an Alpha Channel, a new document or a selection (unlikely you'd use that for our purposes).  The gray channel also works in odd instances in Calculations.  I've pulled up a couple of monsters that way.

The restoration I have now is very faint in areas and too dark in areas.  I used Calculations twice, created a layer from each, blended them and got a workable start.  I know there are many ways to go about getting information, but I try Calculations as soon as I've checked my channels to see which are the most viable.

Have a great weekend

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)