• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Amount of time spent on difficult restorations

Started by cmpentecost, August 28, 2006, 04:21:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How much time have you spent on your average difficult restoration?

Less than 2 hours
0 (0%)
2-4 hours
1 (10%)
4-6 hours
0 (0%)
6-8 hours
3 (30%)
8 hours or more
6 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: September 11, 2006, 04:21:03 PM

cmpentecost

I thought I'd question the members of the forum on how much time their restorations are taking.  I've based on the question on the difficult restorations, since these are going to be the most time consuming.  I'm spending more time than I thought I would, but I want my restorations to look like the original photo as much as possible.  I don't mind the time involvement, but I'm curious as to what the others are doing.

Thanks for your input!

Christine

glennab

Hi Christine

I wrote this to Dave this afternoon:

"You seem somewhat disheartened that the restorations aren't getting to their owners quickly enough.  Part of that may be that some of us work full-time (I'm on a computer all day), and we don't have as much time as we'd like to focus on the restorations.  Also, I'm finding that the work is taking longer than I'd ever have anticipated because the damage is much worse than it appears on the thumbnails we see when we choose our restorations.  There's quite a learning curve to getting these images correct.  I've started each of mine over at least once because I haven't been satisfied with it's appearance.  I know that'll happen less often as I complete each one and am more comfortable with what it takes to make the restorations look natural. 
I'm telling you this, because I don't think many of us realized the magnitude of the task we were taking on. I've done many restorations before I joined OPR, but nothing that rivals the destruction we're facing.  Everyone seems totally dedicated to getting the job done and as quickly as possible  -- but also to return a restoration that will truly make its owner happy.  It's a labor of love, but a complicated one.  I've noticed on the forums that volunteers are going to great pains to be sure that the details on military uniforms are correct -- doing research, posting quests for information.  I'll be doing that on my current project, because I have a man in an army uniform and his ribbons are so obliterated that even my husband, who's a military expert, can't tell what they are.
I guess what I'm trying to tell you is that you have a caring, dedicated group of volunteers in OPR, and we WILL get the job done!"

This is to preface my telling you that I've spent much more than 8 hours on all but my first restoration (which was an easy one).   My current project is covered with small white splotches, which means that I have to clone very small areas in order to get detail and shading correct.  I don't mind a minute of the time I spend to finalize the restorations, but they are definitely time-consuming, and I won't submit one back to OPR until I'm satisfied that it's the very best I can do.  I'd say I have about 8 hours in the current photo already, and I'm probably half done.

I'm reading everything I can get my hands on about restorations, and I'm discovering that in a lot of instances there just are NO shortcuts.  I don't know about you, but I'm just happy to be able to contribute my abilities to such a worthwhile effort.

One last thing -- Congrats on the Bozeman Chronicle article.  I thought they did a great job.  It's too bad they didn't show what a wonderful final restoration you did.

I do ramble, don't I?  There's an organization for people like me called "On and On Anon!."

Best wishes,

GG

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

cmpentecost

Hi GG,

Your comments to Dave triggered me to do this poll.  I spent about 15 hours on the little boy.  I also wish the Chronicle had included the "after" photo.  The reporter told me they were going to, and then didn't do it.  However, I am pleased with the article.  I hope it triggers more people to volunteer.

I considered myself pretty skilled in photo restoration until the OPR projects.  I am loving the new challenge, but what a challenge it is.  I look forward to every afternoon when I can work on my pictures.

Thanks for your input!

Christine

Ptollemy

The other thing I would like to add is that some of us (well me anyway) don't yet have the skills to tackle the difficult or even intermediate level photos. Even some of the "easy" ones are beyond my current skill level.

I definitely second the comments above; we love our OPR work, we are proud to be involved, and we want the images to be the best that they can be.

Thanks again for the opportunity to be part of this great group :)

Kind regards
Ptollemy

laportelj

Christine,
I also spend much more than 8 hrs on a difficult photo.
I have learned an amazing amount about photo restoration here. There is something new learned with each photo, so this is also giving something to us as well as to these people we have "come to know so well".
   Jane