• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Healing help

Started by Marydh, July 14, 2010, 05:43:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marydh

Hi all,
I feel like an idiot but I can't remember how to heal a selection
without picking up the colors outside the selection.
Mary

G3User

Mary,

The healing brush can't be used near an edge as you have found. It even ignores a selection edge. I use a couple of approaches

Use the brush as near to the edge as you can and tidy up with the Clone stamp if you need to preserve texture or the smudge tool if there is none.

If I am repairing a background then masking and copying the forground to another layer above it means that you can extend the background under the forground with the Clone Stamp and then tidy up with the healing brush. Of course you need blur/tidy up/blend the edge of the forground somewhere in the process.

Hope that helps

Athol

Marydh

Hi Anthol,
Your third paragraph is close to what I THINK
I did.  I'll keep trying things.  Maybe I'm just
making the whole thing up.
Thanks for your help.
Mary

Hannie

Mary, when you use the Healing brush and you sample within your selection you should be fine.
If you use the Spot healing brush, it also should not pick up color outside your selection.

I use CS4, maybe it works different there?

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Marydh

Hi Hannie,
I'm using CS 4 as well.  I understand all the ins and outs
of the healing brush but there was a technique I saw somewhere
and I just don't remember how it worked.  It had something to do
with making a selection in way that the area adjacent to
it didn't effect that selection when using the healing brush.

Thanks for trying to help my little brain.
Mary

Johnboy

Mary,

I recall a post in the forum perhaps 2 or 3 years ago involving using the Healing brush with a selection. The reason I recall it is that it bailed me out of a sticky situation on a restore. I want to recall that I made a selection and had to reverse it to work within the selection with the healing brush. I use CS so I don't know how it might work with the newer versions.

I clearly remember in the post the person used an example of a flower to demonstrate. I don't remember if it was part of another post or a new one. I have tried looking back at some of my old posts to try to get a handle where it might be. I'll let this simmer for a while and maybe a light will go on or a light might go on for someone else.

Johnboy

Johnboy

Found it!! I tired a little different search parameter and then had to hunt through a few pages to find the reference.

The original:
http://www.operationphotorescue.org/forum/index.php/topic,1104.0.html   Check out towards the bottom of page 1. It is a Schen post.

As a bonus here is my experience:
http://www.operationphotorescue.org/forum/index.php/topic,900.msg11143.html#msg11143
You will find the post near the bottom of page 2.

Hope this helps. I use Photoshop CS on a iMac G4 using OSX 4.12. So as I said before I am not sure how will this works with the newer versions of PS.

Johnboy

Marydh

Oh Johnboy, that's it!
Thanks so much for the searching.
BTW, your restore was terrific.

And thanks Schen for the great tutorial.

Mary

Johnboy

You are welcome Mary. Glad to be of help.

That restore was one of those that didn't look too difficult. But the boy's hair and his right ear were real bears. It did turn out well in the end.

Johnboy