• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Austell photos for TV spot

Started by glennab, June 18, 2010, 09:37:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glennab

Hi Margie

Did the TV station in Austell every do a piece on the restorations we did for those two families?  I was wondering, as I hadn't heard anything so far.

We may have the garage completed before September, so please keep me apprised of what's happening in Nashville.  We're biting at the bit to be part of that run.  Also let me know if there's any preliminary work we can do.  I did purchase some cleaning material and cloths with which to experiment to see if it would clean more muck.  I'll let you know what I find out.

I hope all's well with you.  You're constantly in my thoughts!

Many hugs!

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Mhayes

Hi GK,

No, the station never did the interview. I did talk to the reporter and gave her the family's phone number and the volunteer that was on the Austell run. Nothing ever came of it and I think too much time had past. I also had a hard time getting anyone who wanted to do the interview.

That sounds good about the cleaning material, but I would be very careful as it would be bad news if we damaged the photos further with chemicals. I feel comfortable with water, but not sure of the others.

Right now we are in a holding pattern of trying to dates and location set. With it being summer, it is a little harder getting the schedule confirmed. I hope before the end of this month I will have some news so so you can plan for the trip.

Right now, it's one day at a time. Thanks,

Margie

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

glennab

Margie, on the cleaning fluid and cloths:  I'm going to make my own messes here first and experiment to see what can be cleaned and what can't.  If there's any doubt, I wouldn't suggest that we use anything but water on the damaged photos.  What intrigued me was that the company claims that the cleaner will remove ink, sharpie marks, blood, just about anything except water spots.  So I'm going to send a few photos to you to run through your dungeon (kidding!  I have my own darn dungeon!)  and will let you know if it looks useful.  If not... at least we'll know.

Too bad about the Austell interviews.  That would have been good exposure for us.  Does that mean I have the OK to post the restoration of the group of kids on Facebook and our gallery?

Cheers

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Mhayes

GK, why do I have visions of you taking a cloth with chemicals and taking a swipe across a damaged photo and then before our eyes the whole image is erased.  :funny: Maybe you might not wear the OPR t-shirt in case something goes horribly wrong and the rest of us could say we don't who you are? OK, I will cut you some slack and maybe this will work great.

Yes, about posting as long as it listed as an OPR restore and shown as having a copyright.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

glennab

Margie, the sad thing is that I can picture the same scenario.  GK stands up with horribly Sharpied photo, says "Ta Da!", wipes photo, and image miraculously disappears.  GK says under breath "Oh, S**t!" and slithers under a chair.

That's why there will be many trials here before we attempt miracles on flood street!  I also have books and bookmarked web sites about cleaning and archiving that I'll be using as reference.  Especially as one site I went to said absolutely nothing about any chemical that would clean damaged photos.  But those were all strictly water damage, and this manufacturer specifically says that the fluid won't remove water stains.  I figured it was worth spending a few bucks to find out.  I have old polaroids, regular photos, slides, etc. on which I can experiment (GK wrings hands and cackles with glee!).

I'll let you know what I discover.  If you see blue air coming from the Southeast, it could be that the experiments didn't work.

GK

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)