• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Nashville, TN Flooding--Photo Rescue

Started by Mhayes, May 05, 2010, 12:58:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mhayes

Hi Everyone,

If you have been watching the news lately, you have seen the flooding in Nashville, TN. I would like this to be OPR's next photo run and while it is too early go in--maybe 3 months at the earliest--we need to get the word out about OPR. If any of you live or have relatives in or around Nashville let me know. I have contacted The Tennessean newspaper and a few local radio stations. The all say it is too soon to come in, but when I explain that the reason for making contact this soon is to let people know how to handle thier photos and what to do and not do. As anyone who has gone on one of OPR's copy run can tell you, the most discouraging thing to hear is of photos damaged that could have been saved. We need to get the word out about OPR and good places to start would be Facebook and Twitter.

It is so great to have volunteers contact me with names of people they know that might be able to help out. Another great resource is people we have meet on other runs. Brian Davis with GHF and Jim Gagne with The Weather Channel. Radio stations are great, because when I tell them what we are doing, they often grant free air time. That is something that I will be going down the list this week and contacting.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

lurch

Margie, I've copied your Facebook post on my wall, with a special plea to forward it to friends in the area. What's missing is a page on the OPR website that tells people how to treat their photos to avoid more damage before the copy run volunteers arrive. Could we provide that information? Previous copy run folks could be a resource for starters, and maybe our various museum contacts could provide info too.
<C>

Mhayes

Thanks Lurch, word of mouth is what it's going to take. I agree with your suggestion on how to handle damage photos. Somewhere on the forum we have had discussions on care of flood damaged photos--maybe someone can find the post. Care of the photos need a sticky note to be able to find it again and what I am thinking of is doing is having a current blog about Nashville and putting the care of damaged photos on it. One thing I would like to see is that if people can get to their photos right away to remove them from those plastic sleeves than you see see in albums.

I talked to one radio station in Nashville today and got some air time on how to take care of wet photos and also to tell what OPR does. I am trying to be careful and not be intrusive because things are really chaotic right now, but from past copy runs I know the word needs to get out to save photos from being thrown out or mold ruining them.

I have been in contact with Brian Davis of the GHF in Galveston and he contacted a staff member who used to work in the Nashville area for the National Trust about OPR. I will keep you all informed.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Tori803

Thanks for the info on salvaging water-damaged photos. I also came across some videos on the Internet from the Heritage Emergency National Task Force showing the process. The one on flood damage is at
http://www.heritagepreservation.org/PROGRAMS/WaterSegmentFG.HTM
There's also a Flash movie on removing soot
http://www.heritagepreservation.org/video/HPSoot.html
Their home site is
http://www.heritagepreservation.org/PROGRAMS/TFPublic.html
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

Mhayes

Tori,

Thanks so much for the links. Between what Hannie listed and your links, this information will be very helpful.

Does anyone know of any photos for Nashville flooding that we could get permission  to use on our home page and blog. I have searched the Web and the only photos I am coming across are copyrighted ones. I have checked the FEMA site and zip, zero, nada. I hate to use a graphic design in place of a photo, but may have to if nothing is available.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Mhayes

Thanks Tess! These photos really give you and idea of how bad things are! I'm also hearing from people in Nashville that might be able to provide photos.  I watched ABC World News tonight and it is unbelievable to think of receiving 13 in of rain in two days! The last part of the video is so sad seeing what has happened to the Grand Ole Opera. It has been open since 1925 and now you wonder what can be saved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6v2MDz6hxM&feature=player_embedded
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Mhayes

Hi Everyone,

I read some good news about the Grand Ole Opry House in our newspaper, The Wichita Eagle, this morning:
"The Grand Old Opry house stage sat under 2 feet of water at the peak of deadly floods that ravaged Tennessee last weekend, but here was finally a bit of good news for residents facing a relentless grind of death and destruction.

Even as rising water lapped around their knees, a group of 10 to 15 workers moved some music memorabilia out of harm's way and Opry officials said Friday that they are optimistic they can restore much of what has been damaged."

By Chris Talbott Associated Press

In the Tennessean newspaper online is a slide show--go to slide #31 for a very scary photo. The two people are on the top of a jeep.
http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Avis=DN&Dato=20100506&Kategori=NEWS01&Lopenr=5060802&Ref=PH

Very soon I hope to have our home page with more news about Nashville and our plans for a copy run in 3 to 4 months. OPR is getting a lot of involvement with the Nashville community and in particular with Dr Andi Stepnick, Associate Professor and Chair of Sociology, at the Belmont University. She has been tireless in her efforts to promote OPR.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

glennab

The devastation is, as usual, beyond comprehension to those of us who haven't experienced it. 

Margie, it's great to know that we have contacts in Nashville and that we'll be able to do a copy run. Especially after talking to the people we helped in Biloxi, it's heartrending to think of the loss.  My heart goes out to all the citizens of the area. 

Maybe now that I'm unemployed I'll be able to do something to help.  I'll keep you apprised of my situation, and please let me know what you need.

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

david_gr

A friend send me this link showing a slide show of the Nashville, TN flooding.  You may find it interesting and helpful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=pFjaQoOdJvI

Keep us informed of plans for a copy run in Nashville.  (I may be able to talk my wife into going.  :) )

David

Tori803

David,

Thanks for posting the link. No matter how often we see photos of flooding it's always a shock to realize how much damage is done.

Tori
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

glennab

David, thanks for sharing the slide show.  I'm ashamed to be one of those people who wasn't paying enough attention to the news to realize the extent of the damage.  Nashville is a proud city  with so much history.  It breaks my heart to see water wreaking havoc on so many lives.  I hope we'll able to make a difference for at least some of those who suffered through the floods.

My heart goes out to them.

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)