• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

PhotoShop CS5

Started by Mhayes, April 30, 2010, 12:38:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mhayes

Hi Everyone,

I'm curious as to how many of you have or are planning to get the latest release PhotoShop CS5? I have had CS4 less than a year and hate to part with more money for the latest upgrade, but have heard a lot of excitement about the new paint brushes mimicking the real deal.

Here are a few UTube post and even though some are pre-release, thought you might enjoy.

Margie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BShE_jS8jLE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8sEGVoTW9Q&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyxDBRnuL3s&feature=related

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Hi Margie,

It seems like CS4 hasn't been out that long and now there already is a CS5!
Thanks for the links, it looks like some amazing new features there.  The paint brushes are awesome and some of the new warping techniques are amazing.  (Photography will never be the same...)
I love it when Scott Kelby does the little YMCA routine  :)

I have had CS4 for almost a year now so it will probably be a while before I update.  Is there anyone who has used the Beta or pre release version of CS5 yet?

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

lurch

I've ordered Photoshop CS5, and am waiting like a kid for Christmas for it to ship, drooling all the while. From what I've seen in the way of previews it has the potential for making some of my restoration work much easier. I too have had CS4 for only about a year; this upgrade is just too good to pass up!
<C>

Marydh

OMG.  The content aware fill is absolutely amazing.
You made an upgrade very tempting, Margie.
My husband will not be happy.
Mary

glennab

I'm especially amazed by the content aware function.  Have seen demos on face book, and it looks like something that would make restorations much easier.  However, as with some of Photoshop's other wonderful tools, the demonstrations were with mostly pristine photos - nothing like what we battle with here.  That said, if I were employed, I'd upgrade!

I saw or heard somewhere that CS5 only works with Intel machines.  Does anyone know if that's true?

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

lurch

My CS5 hasn't shipped yet, but the software has been released. Being one for instant gratification, I downloaded a trial version earlier today, and tried it out on a couple of my own photos, plus a restoration. Content-aware fill doesn't work much on really big damage areas, even a bit at a time, but it's great for smaller stuff. Have only just tried out content-aware healing, so can't really evaluate that yet. It's all magic. I've been told there are a lot of little improvements. Imagine I'll stumble on them a bit at a time. One I've already noticed is that dynamic zoom is much smoother than in CS4, and blindingly fast.

I've only been playing with it for an hour or so and doing restoration at the same time for most of that. So far I'm really tickled with the upgrade - don't regret it a bit!

And Glenna, it does require an Intel machine.
<C>

Rbm

Greetings,

I have CS5 on order and like lurch I'm looking forward to receiving it.  Yep!  Christmas in May.

Later,
Richard

VBrestorer

Though I have used Photoshop exclusively for imaging work for several years now, I still consider myself "in training".  Regardless of my limited ability, I was invited by Adobe to be a member of their "CS5 Extended Prerelease Test" team, and have been using it for about 2 months now.  It truly is an upgrade with some "meat" to it.  Though I went through 3 revisions during testing, they were each stable.  Being a prerelease tester was interesting, and I hope to get the opportunity to do it again.  My invitation this time was through my being a member of NAPP.
Upon rereading Lurch's comment about requiring an Intel machine, I realized that she was NOT saying that it would only run on a PC.  So if you misinterpret that requirement like I did initially, understand that there IS a version for the Mac, but only the Mac's built around the Intel processor.
As stated previously, there is now a full-function trial version of CS5 available which can be downloaded from Adobe's website.  I recommend that anyone thinking they might want to upgrade download CS5 and try it themselves first.

Larry

Mhayes

Just when I thought I could skip an upgrade--now I want it! I too got an invitation to do a beta testing by being a member of NAPP. I didn't take it as I was worried about how stable it would be, and now reading your experience Larry, wish I had.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Tori803

I had sworn off the endless upgrade treadmill, but I'm afraid I'm about to get hooked again!

Tori
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

Hannie

I want CS5!   :mad:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Hannie, my feeling exactly! I was like Tori and was stepping off the upgrade treadmill, but this is way too tempting. I want, I want, I want. . .

Margie

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Margie, same here.  I thought CS4 would be the last upgrade for a long, long time.   
This upgrade seems too good to pass.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

lurch

Margie, Hannie - go ahead and bite the bullet. You won't be sorry. I just spent part of an evening going over a restore with lots of little scratches in intricate places, using the content-aware healing brush. It didn't work perfectly on all of them, but when it did, magic!  :wow: In the old days (like last week) I would have spent hours on those areas. Just for that feature the upgrade is worth it. And when you throw in all the other new and improved goodies . . .
<C>

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]