• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

I need some advice please

Started by TimeTraveler, August 22, 2006, 06:48:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimeTraveler

On the left, below the ship, I made out the word 'Jamaica', however, I don't know what the rest of the text is.  If I knew, I could reconstruct it.  I tried Google but can't find anything.  If anyone knows what the text is please let me know.  Also, if I can't figure out what the text is, should I make that part of the sign yellow/gold or leave it the way it is?

Also, there's a lot of blue in the background and I was wondering if I should add some noise to it.

I just know the basics of restoration, cloning, dodge, burn, heaing, levels, etc.  If anyone can give me some links to any tips and tricks, that would really help me a lot.  And, if anybody sees anything else that I can improve let me know. 
Thanks,
Greg

glennab

Hi Greg

You have quite a dilemma with the type after Jamaica.  If there's no way to discern the wording, I'd be tempted to fill in that area with the gold and just add bits of the color of the Jamaica type to give the impression that something was there.  The only other thing might be to center "Jamaica" on the banner -- but that may be pushing the envelope of how far we're to take the restorations.  I did notice that the striped t-shirt still has damaged on the last white stripe.  I'd smooth that out.

There are tons of great references for retouchers in books and on the web.  I have Katrin Eisman's book on Photoshop Restoration and Retouching and it's a gem.  If you join the National Association of Photoshop Professionals, that's another worthwhile expenditure.  I have to hustle to work, but if no one else is able to provide you with Katrin's website, I'll hunt for it when I get home and pass it on to you.

Great job on the restoration!

GG

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

havril

Hi TT
I think it could be Montego Bay as this company seems to have combined the two for a number of years.
Harvey

glennab

Hi again Greg

Check out this website: www.photoshopdiva.com

It's Katrin Eismann's website, and she has tutorial dvds, books, etc. available.  There are also online tutorials.  She seems to be one of the top gurus on photo restoration.  Her book has certainly been invaluable to me, and a number of other volunteers have mentioned that she's one of their references as well.

Scott Kelby, president of National Association of Photoshop Professionals, also has many books and cds -- several on restoration. Between those and the NAPP magazine Photoshop User, I've learned many useful techniques.  NAPP costs a little under $100 to join, but it's well worth the cost for the tutorials and discounts, as wel as the magazine.

You'll also find that the OPR group is a wealth of knowledge.  If you throw out a request for information, you'll normally get plenty.  I've learned more than I can tell you just going through the forums and picking up bits here and  there, as well as sending out my own pleas for advice.

Hope this helps.  These restorations are definitely an on-going learning process.

GG

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)