• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Winter Doldrums

Started by Mhayes, March 01, 2010, 11:56:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mhayes

Hi Everyone,

I think we are all suffering from the winter doldrums! I know I am and am counting the days off till spring. In fact this week I am going to the indoor garden show in Wichita, KS that is ranked as one of the top ten. I love going and seeing the displays gardens with waterfalls complete with full size trees and filled with blooming plants--great for the eyes, but maybe not for the allergies!

I think all of us need a break and chance to recharge our batteries. Hopefully in the coming month or so, I hope that we will have the software to be able to send out a newletter to all the members. At first this will be quarterly and we will see how that works out. I want this to be a chance for all of you to have an input on features you would like to see. I would also like to focus on different members and a chance for you to show your work and tell us more about yourself.

I love our forum, but for those who do not come here, it's hard to keep them informed and motivated. I also think in a newsletter getting stats on photos done and sent out.

I also would like to ask if there are any members with over 6 mos in OPR that would like to take on the duties of registering new comers. Right now it is pretty slow and would be a good time to learn. Becky will still be involved, but when summer comes she would like to travel. We have an introduction letter and instructions for newcomers on how to navigate PhotoShelter. These instructions would be a simple cut and paste into an email. Anyone interested in this, drop me an email.

In the coming months and it may have to wait until we have a newsletter to reach everone, but I still like the idea of having regions of first responders when there is a disaster. It would be nice to have volunteers in areas close to home that would be able to have a list of contacts to reach in a disaster.

To all of those down under, you may be rolling your eyes for my wish for warmer weather! Last time I talked to Tess, it was hot and humid---I never thought that would sound so wonderful!

Think Spring!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

david_gr

Margie,

I feel for you and all the folks that have had such a rough winter.  In Georgia, we have had a lot of rain and even some snow this winter but the nice thing is we get a few nice days every now and again.  We even have a few spring flowers blooming here south of Atlanta.

I like your idea about regional response teams.  I think that's what we had in Austell, everyone was from the south.  Maybe a way could be figured out to let the people in the disaster area know early on not to throw out those "ruined" photos so quickly.

A newsletter is a great idea.  I tend to get busy with other things, like doing volunteer tax work for AARP and lose touch now and again.  By the way, anybody regardless of age you can get their fairly straightforward tax returns done by AARP for free at their local senior center.  Just call to check on availability.  Sorry we only do US income taxes.

Take care everybody.

David Gr

Mhayes

Hi Everyone,

Tori803 has volunteered to take on registering new volunteers--Thank you Tori803!

David, thanks for your insights and thank you for the tip on the AARP and the senior center. I talked by phone today with David about taxes and about the Austell copy run and how those photos will be released soon. Also, will let everyone know when the Fox News interview with the two families whose photos we worked on early will happen.

David's point about having local people is so true. Once we had volunteers in place they could research and keep a list of potential contacts--their name, phone number and email address. A list of local media and rescue groups. For the media, we could have a press release ready to send out. Before we went to Cedar Rapids, we got a lot of help from the Salvation Army. Also, local civic groups are more than willing to get the word out.

Other plans in the work is getting OPR noticed by historical organizations throughout the country. Will keep everyone posted on the progress.

Have a great day everyone!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Thanks for joining the team Tori!
Sounds like you'll be doing a great job.

:up2:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Tori803

Thanks for the vote of confidence! I'm looking forward to helping out.

I like the idea of regional response teams too. They may be needed sooner than expected. The local news has been reporting about the potential for record flooding in the Red River Valley again this year (remember Grand Forks, North Dakota and East Grand Forks, Minnesota, April 18, 1997?). They are currently filling sand bags in Fargo, ND. The Red River runs along the Minnesota/North Dakota state line to the north, into Canada. I found an interesting chart at the NOAA site http://www.weather.gov/oh/hic/nho/. Looks like many regions in the US face the possibility of floods.

Even though OPR isn't able to restore damaged photos for victims of natural disasters in other parts of the world, regional response teams might still be able to provide helpful information to folks on what to do with their damaged photos after a disaster.

Tori
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge