• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

2nd restoration

Started by paulus, January 31, 2010, 06:15:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulus

Hi

Struck a few issues with my next photo.

1.The door didn't think it would be a problem but don't really know how to proceed tried painting it back but it looks rubbish!

2. Clone Technique has fallen down with the curtain bit - also colour balancing it is a bit off - any pointers? - getting too much smudge

3. Do I remove the white blob as it was part of the original or was it from the scan/photo?

4. Not sure how good a job I've made of the jacket either - think might have to go back to left shoulder

Any help or criticism would be great
Cheers
Paul

battleaxe

you have done a good job so far.   
  The door part that is blown out, I would lasso that part and feather the selection, start a new layer then clone the lower portion into the selection ( little ants should be marching for the selection, do not press enter). Press enter when done.    Also  adjust the opacity of the layer when done . Some more blending may be needed.
The coat , I would cut and paste a copy of it to another layer , go image, adjustments, replace color  and select the blues I feel are bad and adjust them to make the coat better.

This is what I would do using photoshop

have fun   :hug:

Hannie

Hi Paul,

Great restore! 
The door doesn't look all that bad, perhaps patch/clone a few rough spots.

The jacket is a jeans jacket and should look a little scruffy.  It would be better not to paint over it, you will lose the whites present in the fabric.
Where you repaired the shoulder the result is an even blue, it may turn out better if you used the patch or clone tool and sample from the area below.

The white blob could be toned down slightly if it is part of the original photo, a reflection.
If it is damage it would be safe to remove, I can't tell which one it is...

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

paulus

Thanks for the suggestions
Here's were I'm at with pic

Still think I need to work on jacket a bit - used right shoulder flipped horizontally and shaped it using clone, patch and eraser - do I tweak the saturation thingy for the shoulders to make them lighter or leave as is?

I've toned down the white blob a bit - at the moment leaving it alone

As usual any pointers or criticisms welcome
Cheers
Paul

Hannie

Just a quick note Paul, the jacket looks wonderful!
The door looked better before with the reflection and all, I think just repairing a few spots there would be enough?

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

glennab

Paul, I've been wanting to jump in, but always have to run to work before I can put in my 2 cents worth.  I agree with Hannie that the jacket looks fine with the variety in shades.  It's probably a very old denim piece, so it would have faded areas and darker areas.  All I'd do is check to be sure that you don't have any parts with no texture and fix them with the patch tool.

I also agree with Hannie that your orignal door was fine except for the obvious cloning in the lower left corner.  The patch tool will do a good job on getting rid of that as well,  You can get your patches from the upper right side and I think you'll find that they'll blend pretty well.  You could do the same thing with the super bright area (I think that's part of the flash that's also evident in the white spot behind him/her - probably bouncing off a window behind the curtain.)  If you pull patches from the other side, you'll likely still have a lighter area, but it'll retain the wood look.  Another option is to clone from the other side, then patch to return to the appearance of wood.  I use the clone and patch tools often to  repair a color that's really off, and then to reclaim the texture.  Works on faces as well as fabric and wood.

The only other thing I'd do is even out the straight edges, as on the chair and the inside of the molding around the door.  They're a bit wavy.

Great clean up.  Those splotches were awful, and you did a fine job of making them go away!

Have a wonderful day.

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Mhayes

Hi Paul, I agree with Hannie and GK, but wanted to add about the refection on the door and the window. It looks like the picture was taken with a flash which accounts for both the door and the really blown out circle in the window. I would leave it in the door as it was in the original and the other you could tone down or repair. You might want to use a layer mask, so that when you correct certain areas, it doesn't blow the highlights out more in those areas.

Great job on repairing!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

paulus

Thanks for the comments
Version 5

Patched away like crazy - patched door bottom from top and used the whole right side of door for the top and used eraser and opacity 40%.

Also patched some of the jacket. Straightened the line bits a little.

- tweaked the curves for the white blob flash bit to make darker but starts going blue very quickly

Any comments or criticisms welcome
Cheers
Paul

glennab

Hi Paul

I think you've done a fine job on this character!  I have a couple of small picks. On the lightest area of the door next to the curtain on the left side, I'd blend the white line down the edge of the curtain to be closer in shade to the rest of that side of the door.  I'd patch a little of the texture onto that side as well. Clone marks gone - excellent.

Bravo!

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

paulus

Thanks for the reply
I've tried to tweak the curtain but I'm not sure if I've made the picture worse!

Added texture to the top but I can't seem to blend the light and greyish shades very well.

Cheers
Paul

glennab

Paul, I'm not sure the curtain is "tweakable," since the glow from the flash interferes with the color.  I don't see a problem with what you have, and I don't see anything else I'd change.  Hopefully some of our "eagle eyes" will take one last look, but I think you've nailed it.  Looks great to me.

Cheers!

GK

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Hannie

Nice job Paul!

:up2:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Nice job Paul of bringing back what the original looked like.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]