• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Check Out the OPR Blog

Started by Mhayes, December 21, 2009, 02:28:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mhayes

Hi All,

Check out our blog. I think you will enjoy reading about Katie Miller and her students. Also, the blog before on the Austell copy run is fairly new and gives some insight on how well things went for the group.

I know things have been slow on the forum, but with Christmas around the corner and some of you getting clobbered by snow, it's to be expected.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

glennab

Margie, I so enjoyed reading about Katie and her students.  I concur with her that the OPR project is a wonderful way to introduce them to the real-life impact of a disaster and the fact that they can jump in and help turn that impact into a positive experience for everyone.  I loved the fact that the young people became as addicted to their projects as we do to ours.  Wonderful story about some potential new OPR-sters!

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Mhayes

GK and everyone, I have made some revisions to the OPR blog after hearing back from Katie. Since our copy run, Katie has been promoted to Assistant Professor. Also, part of her funding came from her book publisher, and a correction was made to show that Tom Charlesworth took the photos.

Katie was delighted with the blog: 

QuoteI'm thrilled about this, Margie! The students and my department will love it. Please let me know when you've made the changes (whenever that happens...no rush) and I'll notify my campus and students about the blog. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

I agree about some potential for some new OPR-sters! We now handle students differently than in the past. All photos go through the teacher and we no longer sign in all the students to OPR and PhotoShelter. After a student completes the course and would like to continue on with restoring, we encourage them to be a part of OPR. Kymberly, one of Katie's students, has already signed up and here is what she put on the sign up form:

QuoteWhy do you want to join OPR?  After completing the assignment given by Professor Miller (see below), I realized that I am able to help people and brighten their day by just correcting a damaged photo that they treasured. I was told I showed skill with retouching photos and would love the opportunity to help people by restoring their lost memories in the wake of tragedy, as I never realized how important a simple photograph was until I was shown this organization.

How did you hear about OPR?  Had a photo retouching class at University of Wisconsin - Stevens Point where we worked on retouching a submitted OPR photo for Professor Miller.

Kymberly, we are very delighted to have you join us!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]